Metropolis of Boston
The Metropolis of Boston is a metropolis of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America in the United States of America, under the jurisdiction of the Church of Constantinople. The metropolis includes the states of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, and part of Connecticut.
Prior to the establishment of metropolises as sub-organizations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the New England area was designated in 1968 the Third Archdiocese District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America. In 1979, the archdiocese was re-organized under a decree of the Ecumenical Patriarchate into a number of dioceses of which the Diocese of Boston replaced the 3rd district.
In 1996, the Archdiocese of North and South America was split into four separate archdioceses: those of America, Canada, Central America, and South America. With the establishment of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the title of the dioceses was changed to metropolises and the Diocese of Boston became the Metropolis of Boston in December 2002.
Parishes and Monasteries
There are sixty three parishes within the metropolis.
The following are administrating hierarchs of the Metropolis of Boston and its predecessor organizations:
- Bishop Joachim (Alexopoulos) 1923 - 1930
- Bishop Athenagoras (Kavadas) 1938 - 1949
- Bishop Ezekiel (Tsoukalas) of Nazianzus 1950 - 1954
- Bishop Athenagoras (Kokkinakis) of Eleia 1954 - 1960
- Bishop Meletios (Tripodakis) of Christianoupolis 1961 - 1962
- Bishop Gerasimos (Papadopoulos) of Abydos 1962 - 1967
- Bishop Demetrios (Makris) of Olympus 1968 - 1973
- Bishop Iakovos (Garmatis) of Apameia 1974 - 1978
Diocese of Boston
- Bishop Anthimos (Drakonakis) 1979 - 1983
- Bishop Methodius (Tournas) 1983 - 2002
Metropolis of Boston
- Metropolitan Methodius (Tournas) 2002-Present
Categories > Church History > Canon Law > Ecclesiology > Jurisdictions
Categories > Church History > Canon Law > Ecclesiology > Jurisdictions > Dioceses
Categories > Church History > Canon Law > Ecclesiology > Jurisdictions > Dioceses > Ecumenical Patriarchate Dioceses