Archdiocese of Carthage
The Holy Archdiocese of Carthage and North Africa is a diocese under the jurisdiction of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Its territory, in northwestern Africa, includes the parishes and missions located in nations of Tunisia, Algeria, Mauritania, Morocco and Western Sahara.
The Archdiocese of Carthage was established as a archdiocese in 1931 by a Patriarchal and Synodal Decree. Its seat was originally located in Tripoli, but moved in 1984 to Tunis.
- Konstantinos (Katsarakis) 1931–1939
(gained territory from the merged Archdiocese of Tripoli)
- Parthenios (Konidis) 1958–1987
- Irenaeus (Talambekos) 1990–1994
- Chrysostomos (Papadopoulos) 1997–2004
(lost territory to reestablish the Archdiocese of Tripoli)
- Alexios (Leontaritis) 2004–2016
- Meletios (Koumanis) 2016–Present
Categories > Church History
Categories > Church History > Canon Law > Ecclesiology > Jurisdictions > Dioceses
Categories > Church History > Canon Law > Ecclesiology > Jurisdictions > Dioceses > Alexandria Patriarchate Dioceses
Categories > Places > Orthodoxy by country > Orthodoxy in Africa