Nikolai Alekseevich Poltoratsky
Nikolai Alekseevich Poltoratsky was an emigre Russian Orthodox layman in France during the twentieth century who was involved with the Brotherhood of St. Photius.
Nicolas Alexeevich Poltoratsky was born on August 3/16, 1909, in the Kursk region. His father died in his first year of life, and he emigrated to France in 1925, with his mother, Elena Karlovna, and his grandmother, Anna Venediktov-Meinecke. He lived first in Nice and soon after in Paris where he obtained the diploma of the School of Economics and Business Sciences (ESSEC) of the Faculty of Law. From that time he worked as an independent translator for the Institute of Comparative Law at the University of Paris and at the same time took courses at the Institut Catholique.
He is known to have been secretary of the Union of Russian Students from 1933 to 1934 and active member of ACER, the Christian Action of Russian Students, for collaborating with Berdiaev as secretary of his Philosophico-Religious Academy. Forcibly sent to Germany for the STO at the end of 1943, he fled, joined the French resistance against Nazism and was decorated with the Croix de Guerre. He was also an active member of the Union of Soviet Patriots and the Committee of Social Assistance of the Emigrants, "The Russian Aid" (Русская помощь).
He was admitted as a member of the Brotherhood of St. Photius in 1934, and unanimously elected as its president in 1945.
At the invitation of the Patriarchate of Moscow, he returned to the USSR in 1948 to collaborate in the reconstitution of spiritual education institutions re-opened at the end of the war, and he was sent to the Orthodox theological seminary of Odessa. He worked there as a professor of comparative theology, the history of the Russian Church, French, and Russian. He combined with this pedagogical activity the work of translating into French the publications of the Moscow Patriarchate.
He reposed on August 31, 1991, and is buried in the cemetery of the Dormition men's monastery in Odessa.
-  The Heritage of the Parish of the Holy Trinity in Vanves, France