The Very Reverend John Behr is an archpriest of the Orthodox Church in America and The Father Georges Florovsky Distinguished Professorship of Patristics and Director of the Master of Theology program at St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary (Crestwood, New York).
Father John was born in England on October 16, 1966, of Russian and German heritage. He received the B.A. (Thesis: "Of God, Man, and Creation: A Comparative Study of the Anthropology of the Greek Fathers and Emmanuel Levinas") in Philosophy from Thames Polytechnic (1987), the M.Phil. (Thesis: "Sexuality, Marriage, and Asceticism in Second-Century Christian Writings") in Eastern Christian Studies (1991) and D.Phil. (Thesis: "Godly Lives: Asceticism and Anthropology, with Special Reference to Sexuality, in the Writings of St Irenaeus of Lyons and St Clement of Alexandria") in Theology (1995) from Oxford University, and the M.Th. ("Translation of Irenaeus' Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching with Introduction and Notes") from St Vladimir's Seminary (1997).
- John the Theologian and his Paschal Gospel: A Prologue to Theology, 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019
- Origen: On First Principles (Oxford Early Christian Texts). 2 vols. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018
- Irenaeus of Lyons: Identifying Christianity, Christian Theology in Context (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013)
- Becoming Human: Meditations on Christian Anthropology in Word and Image (Crestwood, NY, SVS Press, 2013)
- St Athanasius: On the Incarnation, translation and introduction, Popular Patristics Series (Crestwood, NY, SVS Press, 2011)
- The Case Against Diodore and Theodore: Texts and Their Contexts, Oxford Early Christian Texts (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011)
- The Mystery of Christ: Life in Death (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2006)
- The Nicene Faith,vol. 2 of The Formation of Christian Theology (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2004). 2 vols in paper; single hardcover volume 580 pp.
- (ed. with A. Louth and D. Conomos), Abba: The Tradition of Orthodoxy in the West: Festschrift for Bishop Kallistos Ware (New York: St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2003)
- The Way to Nicaea, vol. 1 of The Formation of Christian Theology (Crestwood: SVS Press, 2001). 261 pp. Romanian translation (Bucharest: Sophia, 2004); Russian translation (Tver: Hermeneutica, 2006)
- Asceticism and Anthropology in Irenaeus and Clement (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000)
- St Irenaeus of Lyons: On the Apostolic Preaching (Crestwood: SVS Press, 1997)