Varlaam Monastery (Meteora)
The monastery was founded in 1517 by Theophanis and Nektarios Apsaradas on the site of an earlier monastery that was established by an ascetic anchorite named Varlaam.
The katholikon, which is dedicated to the Three Bishops (St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, and St. John Chrysostom), is of the Athonite style of a cross-in-square and was built in 1541/1542.
The frescos in the monastery were done by the iconographer Frangos Katelanos. The monastery also possesses a collection of artifacts including relics, carved wooden crosses, icons, embroidered epitaphia, and other ecclesiastical items.