His Eminence Archbishop Georges (Tarassoff) of Syracuse (1893-1981), born in Voronezh in Russia, settled in Belgium in 1919, where he worked from 1921 to 1934 in the capacity of an engineer-chemist, in various enterprises. In 1928, he was ordained deacon by Metropolitan EVLOGII. He wanted to serve the Church in this state for all the rest of his life. Nevertheless, on February 3, 1930, unforseen circumstances lead Deacon Georges to receive the priesthood, through obeidence to his bishop. He was named the rector of the parishes of the students in Gand and Louvain, parishes which had found themselves without a priest from day to day. In 1940, he was named rector of the Saint Panteleimon Parish in Brussels, which did not stop him from also serving other parishes in Belgium. Among his parishioners, he developed an exceptional zeal and became a living image of pastoral love. On October 4, 1953, Fr. Georges was consecrated a bishop in Paris by Metropolitan VLADIMIR, the successor of Metropolitan EVLOGII, after which the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople elected him "Bishop of Syracuse" and auxiliary to His Eminence VLADIMIR for Benelux and Federal Germany, with his residence in his former parish in Brussels. His Eminence GEORGES celebrated the Liturgy in numerous languages, including Dutch. After the death of Metropolitan VLADIMIR (in 1959), he became his successor and was elevated to the rank of titular archbishop. For more than 20 years, he found himself at the head of the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox parishes in Western Europe, dependant on the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constanantinople and having its seen in Paris.