My name is Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick, and I'm an Antiochian priest. Here on OrthodoxWiki, I'm one of the admins and the unofficial, self-anointed Prove-to-Me-That-We-Need-That Guy (more on that here).
I'm a 2007 graduate of St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary (South Canaan, Pennsylvania) with an M.Div. degree (summa cum laude with Distinction in Church History). The title of my M.Div. thesis is The Archbishop's Wife: Archbishop Aftimios Ofiesh of Brooklyn, the American Orthodox Catholic Church, and the Founding of the Antiochian Archdiocese (1880-1934). I graduated on May 26, 2007, and I am now assigned to St. George Orthodox Cathedral in Charleston, West Virginia, as the assistant pastor.
I was ordained to the diaconate on October 30, 2005, by Bp. Thomas (Joseph) of Charleston and Oakland (photos here). I was ordained to the holy priesthood on October 29, 2006, at All Saints Orthodox Church in Raleigh, North Carolina, by Bp. Antoun (Khouri) of Miami (photos here).
I previously earned my B.A. in English Language and Literature and minors in Ancient Greek, Religious Studies, and Classical Studies from North Carolina State University, graduating in 2001.
I have a wide range of interests in various religious fields, especially regarding Orthodox Christianity, Byzantine Chant, Church History, and Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Saints. One of my major areas of research and interest is Orthodoxy in America, and I like writing articles in that area about things that I wish other people had written articles about. I'm also keenly interested in comparative religion, linguistics, etymology, English literature, and ancient languages.
I'm a Southerner by birth and at heart, though I do wish there were more proper bakeries south of the Mason-Dixon Line. That's possibly one of the major things Yankees have gotten right. (They tend to do autumn fairly splendidly, too, though the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia can give 'em all a run for their money.)
I additionally serve as one of OrthodoxWiki's lowly sysops. If you have a question or comment or want to reply to a message I left for you, leave it on my Talk page (I might not see it if you leave it somewhere else). I can't guarantee I'll get back to you immediately, though, given my responsibilities in the 3D world. If needed, try one of the other admins.
Items of note
- I have some ideas about what works best for OrthodoxWiki.
- I am often somewhat "Vulcan" when it comes to management issues on the Internet—it's not out of a lack of humor or compassion, but out of years of experience online that it's the approach that works best. I also will sometimes adopt a sort of "Gandalf-talking-to-Saruman-at-the-foot-of-Orthanc" approach when dealing with someone whose invincible absurdity and obstreperousness particularly strike me. Neither is without precedent even in Scripture.
- I'm occasionally curmudgeonly, but don't usually mean to be. I also can't help but think in complete sentences, which can actually be rather debilitating at times.
- If you think I'm following you around on OrthodoxWiki (i.e., you notice I'm adding edits to articles shortly after you do), it's mainly because I keep my eye on Special:Recentchanges and notice what's seeing action. I can't help putting my oar in, as my grandmother used to say.
- I'm very much prone to asking the question, "Do we really need an article on [X] on OrthodoxWiki?" Unless we have something original, useful and substantial to offer, my view is that the wiki should be kept as small as possible. Running a tight ship helps to ensure that we remain on course.
- I've been editing on OrthodoxWiki since December 17, 2004, being the 10th user account created on OrthodoxWiki, and have contributed over 11,000 edits, which as of this writing (May 1, 2008) accounts for about 1/6 of all edits on the wiki.
- I like taking photographs, and you can see my work on OrthodoxWiki in the Damick Images category.
- Although I am an administrator on OrthodoxWiki, I'm really more interested in working on content than in administrative stuff.
- I have been accused online of all sorts of interesting things, typically right after I do or say something someone else doesn't like and usually by someone brazen in their anonymity. If you believe the hype, I'm a liar, uncanonical, teenager, female, illiterate, coarse, unintelligent, immoral, hypocrite, insane, less-than-upright, high-handed, arrogant, a disgrace to my bishop, shameful, Hellenophile, Hellenophobe, Russophile, Russophobe, disreputable racist who is incapable of controlling his temper, passions, hidden agendas, etc.
- Despite some of the fascinating things that the Church of Antioch gets accused of, I am at least one Antiochian cleric who believes and practices that: the Orthodox Church is the one and only true Church, innovation in doctrine is always bad (though innovation in expression of it can be good), innovation in liturgy is usually bad (though not always), we are not currently in communion with the Oriental Orthodox, cassocks are better than suits, obedience is usually better than "making a statement."
- Differences between Greek and Russian liturgics
- Orthodoxy in the United Kingdom
- Orthodoxy in Western Europe
- Prerogatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate
- Romanian Orthodox Metropolitanate in America
- Timeline of Orthodox Church and Roman Catholic relations
- 17th century Russian liturgical reform
- OrthodoxWiki:Articles from the DEC
- OrthodoxWiki:Differences with Wikipedia
- OrthodoxWiki:Frequently Asked Questions
- OrthodoxWiki:Style Manual (Transliteration)
- OrthodoxWiki:Policy (master page)
- Delete Category:Modern Saints and develop by-century categories.
|I hereby reissue all of my edits before November 22, 2005, under both the GNU Free Documentation License as well as the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license (version 2.5 or later), unless explicitly noted otherwise, in conformity with the revised OrthodoxWiki default copyright policy.|
Articles on OrthodoxWiki that I've created, imported, or to which I feel I've contributed significant content include:
- Template:userbox admin
Articles about OrthodoxWiki
- Main Page
- OrthodoxWiki:Deletion policy
- OrthodoxWiki:Disciplinary policy
- OrthodoxWiki:Frequently Asked Questions
- OrthodoxWiki:Style Manual
- Help:How to create a new page
- Help:How to write a great article
- Help:Image licenses