In some monasteries, on days when the Divine Liturgy is not served, it is replaced by a service of Typical Psalms. The service consists of Psalms 103 and 146 with a hymn by the Emperor Justinian, Only-begotten Son. These are the First and Second Antiphons of the Liturgy in most Orthodox Churches. Also, the Beatitudes, the Creed, and certain other hymns and prayers are sung.
From Psalm 103, Psalm 102 (LXX)
- Bless the Lord, O my soul! Blessed art Thou, O Lord!
- Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.
- Who forgives all iniquities, Who heals all your diseases.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, blessed art Thou, O Lord.
From Psalm 146, Psalm 145 (LXX) and a hymn by Emperor Justinian
- Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
- Praise the Lord, O my soul!
- I will praise the Lord as long as I live,
- I will sing praises to my God while I have being.
- Put not thy trust in princes, in sons of men, in whom there is no salvation.
- When his breath departs he returns to his earth: on that very day his plans perish.
- The Lord will reign forever: thy God, O Zion, unto all generations.
- Now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
- O only begotten Son and immortal Word of God,
- Who for our salvation didst will to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and ever-Virgin Mary,
- Who without change didst become man and was crucified,
- Who art one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy Spirit:
- O Christ, our God, trampling down death by death, save us!
- In Thy Kingdom remember us, O Lord, when Thou comest into Thy Kingdom.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
(In 12 Verses)
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
(In 10 Verses)
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
(In 8 Verses)
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.
(In 6 Verses)
- Blessed are they that are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely for My sake.
- Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in Heaven.
(Glory to the Father and to The Son and to The Holy Spirit, Both Now and Ever and Unto the Ages of Ages. Amen.)