Timeline of Orthodoxy in Australia
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
- 1810 First known Orthodox (Russian) permanent resident arrives in Australia. Wife of a British Military officer freshly arrived from the Peninsular War.
- 1820 April: First Orthodox service in Australia. Held at Kirribilli Point (Sydney) by Fr Dionisii, a Russian Orthodox chaplain on the Vostok.
- 1868: Fr Christoforos Arsenios settles at Clermont in Central Queensland. No record exists of any services conducted.
- 1896: Archimandrite Dorotheos (Bakaliaros) is first resident priest who functions as such. Conducts services in Melbourne and Sydney
- 1897: Joint Greek and Syrian Orthodox communities in Sydney (New South Wales) and Melbourne (Victoria) become established.
- 1898 May 29: Foundation stone laid in Sydney of the first Greek Orthodox Church in Australia (included Syrian worshippers and contributors). Dedicated to Holy Trinity.
- The Church of Jerusalem appoints Fr Seraphim Phocas to Sydney and Fr Athanasios Kantopoulos to Melbourne.
- 1900: Foundation stone laid in Melbourne. Dedicated to the Annunciation.
- 1902: Church of Greece takes responsibility for Greek parishes in Australia from the Church of Jerusalem.
- 1903: Fr Nikandros Bettines arrives in Melbourne from Zakynthos, sent by the Archbishop of Athens.
- 1908: Ecumenical Patriarchate grants jurisdiction of Greek parishes in Australia to the Church of Greece.
- 1920 May 24: First exclusively Antiochian Orthodox parish in Australia. Fr Nicholas Shehadie is the first priest.
Australasian Diocesean Era
- 1924 Mar 7: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Australia and New Zealand established by Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- Jul 8: Metropolitan Christoforos (Knitis) of Australia and New Zealand arrives.
- 1928: Metropolitan Christoforos (Knitis) exiled to Samos.
- 1931 Sep 18: Timotheos (Evangelinides) elected Metropolitan of Australia and New Zealand by Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- 1932 Jul 26: Metropolitan Timotheos (Evangelinides) arrives in Australia.
- 1947 Apr 22: Archimandrite Theophylactos (Papathanasopoulos) elected Metropolitan of Australia and New Zealand by Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- 1948 Nov: Bishop Theodore (Rafalsky) arrives in Australia.
- First Ukrainian Orthodox services held in Canberra by Fr A. Theodorovych.
- 1949: First Serbian Orthodox services held by Fr Sv. Sekulic.
- 1950: First Bulgarian Orthodox parish in Melbourne.
- 1952: First Estonian parish established by Fr D. Juurma.
- 1955/56: Bishop Sava becomes Bishop of Australia and New Zealand (ROCOR).
- 1958 Aug 2: Metropolitan Theophylactos (Papathanasopoulos) killed in car accident in Melbourne.
- 1959 Apr 27: Metropolitan Ezekiel (Tsoukalas) of Australia and New Zealand arrives in Australia.
- Sep 1: The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Australia and New Zealand becomes the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand, and Metropolitan Ezekiel becomes Archbishop.
- 1961: St Andrew's Brotherhood set up by Archbishop Ezekiel for the improvement of Archdiocesan services.
- Jan: First Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- Jun 19: Land purchased for St George Monastery, Springwood.
- 1965: Second Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- 1969: Antiochian Orthodox Exarchate of Australasia established by the Holy Synod of Antioch.
- Metropolitan Iakovos of Philadelphia arrives as Exarch of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
Australian Archdiocesan Era
- 1970: Sister Dorothea places St Basil's Homes for the Aged under the patronage of the Archdiocese.
- 1971 OCA presence begins in Australia with reception of one rebel ROCOR parish in Bankstown, New South Wales, along with three priests.
- Simultaneously Polish Orthodox presence begins in Australia with reception of a priest from ROCOR.
- 1972: Third Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- 1974 Dec 30: First Serbian Orthodox hierarch, Bishop Nikolai (Mrdja), enthroned.
- 1975 Feb 13: Metropolitan Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Miletoupolis elected Archbishop of Australia.
- Apr 15: Archbishop Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Australia arrives.
- 26: Archbishop Stylianos enthroned.
- Apr 15: Archbishop Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Australia arrives.
- 1979 Sep 22: Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Churches of Australia established, with the Ecumenical Patriarchate's Archbishop of Australia as permanent chairman.
- 1981 Jan: Fourth Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- 1982: First National Youth Conference held at University of Melbourne. Resolution passed to hold National Youth Conferences every second year thereafter, with State Youth Conferences held on the alternate year.
- 1983: St Andrew's Brotherhood revived and better organised by Archbishop Stylianos.
- 1984: Second National Youth Conference held in Sydney.
- 1985 Jan 27-29: Fifth Clergy-Laity Congress held in Brisbane, Queensland.
- May: Construction of St. Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College commences. College prepares to open in 1986.
- 1986 Feb: St. Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College begins teaching.
- Third National Youth Conference held in Melbourne
- 1988 Sep 13: Moscow Patriarchate establishes first parish in Melbourne, dedicated to Holy Trinity.
- 1989 Jan: Sixth Clergy-Laity Congress held in Melbourne.
- Fourth National Youth Conference held in Melbourne
- 1989: Moscow Patriarchate consecrates second church in Sydney.
- 1991: Fifth National Youth Conference held in Adelaide.
- 1991-94: Schism occurs in Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia. Patriarchate of Jerusalem accepts schismatic parishes and begins jurisdiction in Australia. After great protests from Archbishop Stylianos and Patriarch Bartholomew, Jerusalem withdrew, and parishes joined old-calendarist synods.
- 1993 Jan: Seventh Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- 1994: Sixth National Youth Conference held in Brisbane
- 1996 Nov: First Visit of Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- 1998 Jan: Eighth Clergy-Laity Congress held in Sydney.
- Seventh National Youth Conference held in Sydney
- 2002: St. Andrew's Orthodox Press established to publish The Greek-Australian Vema, the official newspaper of the Archdiocese.
- Chryssavgis, Fr M., & Chryssavgis, Fr J., Persons and Events in Orthodoxy: Historical Moments in the development of Orthodox Christianity (with a chapter on Australian Orthodoxy), Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, 1985.
- Institutional Profile of St Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College.
- Major events in the history of the Greek Orthodox Church in Australia.
- History of the Holy Orthodox Church: Orthodoxy in Australia
- Parish History of Holy Trinity Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
- St George Cathedral and its People - Past, Present and Future - history of the Antiochian Orthodox Church in Australia (Sydney) and the parish of St George Cathedral