Difference between revisions of "Tikhon of Zadonsk"
|Line 74:||Line 74:|
[[Category:Bishops of Voronezh]]
[[Category:Bishops of Voronezh]]
Revision as of 23:24, February 27, 2012
"Do we forgive our neighbors their trespasses? God also forgives us in His mercy. Do we refuse to forgive? God, too, will refuse to forgive us. As we treat our neighbors, so also does God treat us. The forgiveness, then, of your sins or unforgiveness, and hence also your salvation or destruction, depend on you yourself, man. For without forgiveness of sins there is no salvation. You can see for yourself how terrible it is." -- Journey to Heaven.
"We were created for eternal life by our Creator, we are called to it by the word of God, and we are renewed by holy Baptism. And Christ the Son of God came into the world for this, that He should call us and take us there, and He is the one thing needful. For this reason your very first endeavor and care should be to receive it. Without it everything is as nothing, though you have the whole world under you."
Kontakion (Tone 8)
- Successor to the Apostles,
- adornment of hierarchs, and teacher of the Orthodox Faith:
- beseech the Master of all to grant peace to the universe
- and to our souls great mercy.
Troparion (Tone 8)
- From your youth you loved Christ, O blessed one.
- You have been an example for all by word, life, love, faith, purity, and humility.
- Therefore, you now abide in the heavenly mansions,
- where you stand before the throne of the All-holy Trinity.
- Holy Hierarch Tikhon, pray for the salvation of our souls
Letter of Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - Matthew 11:28-30
- Thus Christ calls us to Himself, promising sweet rest for our souls. Like He would say to us: "Oh, pity poor and tired of worldliness’s, you got enough jaded by your thoughts, plans, and hopes and world worries and sadness. Nowhere you will find true rest and happiness but Me. Wherever you turn to, you will not find the real avail. Besides Me, the poverty and evil is encountered everywhere. The wealth, honor, glory and delights of this world that you are looking for, bring more pressure than comfort, more weariness than rest.
- Are you searching for good? Everything good is with Me and is coming from Me.
- Looking for happiness? There is nowhere besides Me.
- Searching for beauty? What is more beautiful than Me, and besides Me?
- Searching nobility? Who is nobler than the Son of God?
- Search for higher things? What is higher than the kingdom of heaven?
- Searching the glory? Who is more glorious than me?
- Searching wealth? In Me and My hand are all the lasting riches.
- Searching for wisdom? I am the wisdom of God.
- Looking for friendship? Who is more pleasant and more loving than Me that I put My soul for all?
- Searching for help and protection? Who will help and will preserve, if not Me?
- Searching for a doctor? Who will heal if not I, doctor of souls and bodies?
- Search rejoicing, exultation and joy? Who will enchant and delight you, if not I?
- Looking for peace and serenity? I am your soul’s rest and peace and you will not find them besides Me.
- Do you want light? I am the Light of the world and whoever follows me will never walk in dark.
- Do you want to come to God; do you want to not be deluded and not to get lost; do you want not to die and to live forever? I am the Way, Truth and Life.
- Don’t you dare to approach me? Who can be easier to approach? I call you all and I welcome you: come to Me.
- Are you afraid to ask? Who called Me with faith and I have not given?
- Sin stops you to come to Me? For the sinners I put My soul.
- The multitude of sins is upsetting you? My mercy overwhelms all the sins of the world.
“Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest!"
Tikhon of Zadonsk
|Bishop of Keksgolma
vicar of Novgorod Eparchy
|Bishop of Voronezh