Difference between revisions of "Theodotus of Cyrenia"
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
Latest revision as of 13:56, November 23, 2012
The holy, glorious and right-victorious Hieromartyr Theodotus of Cyrenia (d. 326) was a bishop on the island of Cyprus who was martyred under the Emperor Licinius. The Orthodox Church commemorates him on March 2.
Saint Theodotus preached Christ to the pagans, urging them to turn to the true God. The authorities gave orders to arrest him, but before these orders could be carried out, Theodotus went freely to the governor as a Christian. The governor had him tortured and imprisoned; after five days, Theodotus's faith was tested again under torture.
Theodotus replied to his torturers:
- "If you knew the goodness of my God, who, it is my hope, will by these brief tortures make me worthy of eternal life, you would wish to suffer for Him as I do!"
His endurance and speech brought many to believe in Christ, so the governor had him thrown back in prison.
During the time of St. Constantine the Great (May 21), the freedom to confess their faith was given to all Christians, and among those set free from prison was St. Theodotos. The saint returned to Cyrenia, and after two years serving as bishop, he peacefully fell asleep in the Lord in about the year 326.
Troparion (Fourth Tone)
- By sharing in the ways of the Apostles,
- you became a successor to their throne.
- Through the practice of virtue, you found the way to divine contemplation, O inspired one of God;
- by teaching the word of truth without error, you defended the Faith, even to the shedding of your blood.
- Hieromartyr Theodotus, entreat Christ God to save our souls.
Kontakion (Third Tone)
- You denounced the depths of false belief.
- With the Orthodox faith you wounded the delusion of idolatry.
- As a godly, whole burnt sacrifice,
- You refreshed the ends of the earth with your wonders!
- O holy hierarch Theodotus, our father,
- Entreat Christ God to grant us great mercy!
External Links and Sources
- The Hieromartyr Theodotos from the Orthodox Church in America website
- Hieromartyr Theodotus, Bishop of Cyrenia on the island of Cyprus excerpted from the Lives of saints from the Prologue from Ohrid by Bishop Nikolai Velimrovich from the website of the Protection of the Mother of God Church (ROCOR) in Rochester, NY
- Hieromartyr Theodotus, bishop of Cyrenia (326)