Typologies: O.T. themes that are ante-types of N.T. themes
Hello, I propose we draw up a point-form list to add in the article of Old Testament themes that are ante-types/typologies to New Testmanet themes. This should include as many typologies that we are aware of.
In an art history course I have taken I learned that several early Christian churches (church buildings) had written their Iconography (interior church iconography) by paralleling Old and New Testament themes, which were drawn opposite eachother (facing eachother, at the same but opposite points of the interior church walls). So that many of these typologies were known and important in the early church.
Here is a rough list that perhaps can be edited (for accuracy) and/or added to (for completeness), and then included in the article as a separate section.
I am also recently aware of some typolgies (listed below and submitted for consideration), of the actual Old Testament Feasts of the Israelites (of the Lord), with the corresponding New Testament Feasts; would appreciate any comments from the clergy as to whether these are valid typologies, or undecided themes as yet. :)
Themes of Redemption
- High Priest and King Melchizedek offers bread and wine to Abraham after his victory -- Institution of the Eucharist.
- Feast of Abraham and the three men in the Valley of Mambre -- Prefiguration of the Holy Trinity
- Manna -- Multiplication of loaves and fish.
- Adam and Eve expelled -- The Anastasis.
Themes of Suffering
- Fall of Adam and Eve -- Christ led to the Crucifixion
- Sacrifice of Isaac -- Arrest and Sacrifice of Christ
- Job in his suffering -- Arrest of St Peter
- Jonah spends three days and nights in the belly of a great fish -- Jesus' three days and nights in the grave.
- Moses crossing the Red Sea -- anticipates miracles of Christ (raising Lazarus; exorcizing gerasene demoniac, etc).
- Prayer of Isaiah -- Prayer at Gethsemane
- Ezekiel in the Valley of Dry Bones -- Raising of Lazarus.
- Burning Bush - Womb of the Virgin Mary
Feasts of the Lord
Spring Feasts (Fullfilled at 1st Coming)
- Passover (Pesach) -- Jesus' Death
- Unleavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah) -- Jesus' Burial
- First Fruits (Yom HaBikkurim) -- Jesus' Resurrection
- Weeks/Pentecost (Shavuot) -- Holy Spirit/Pentecost
Fall Feasts (To be fulfilled at 2nd Coming)
- Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah) -- 2nd Coming (or Judgement Day)
- Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) -- Judgement Day (or 2nd Coming)
- Tabernacles (Sukkoth) -- Marriage Supper of the Lamb / We tabernacle with the Lord in Heaven.
Cheers. Angellight 888 00:56, November 29, 2008 (UTC)