Talk:Timeline of Saints
OMG....The 1st century was the century that lasted from 1 to 100 not from 101 - 200. From 101 to 200 was the Second century. Maraamu 06:44, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- Fixed. You get dizzy when you work on this stuff ... Vasiliki 07:01, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- This list is about only the canonized saints or (and) other personalities? Maraamu 06:51, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- Hmmm, its a point I questioned myself ... for our century its relevant to include major personalities not yet canonised. However, for older centuried my fear is that it will build into a Wikipedia listing ... at this point, I am trying to transfer all the known dates for saints and get to the next step which is personalities .. who were you thinking of including? Vasiliki 07:01, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- XX century saints - Saint Seraphim of Virits, S. Elizabeth the New Martyr S. Platon of Banja Luka , Anthimos of Hios .[ http://ro.orthodoxwiki.org/Sinaxar_al_Sfin%C5%A3ilor_secolului_XX | At the orthodoxwiki in romanian it is a list of saints from 20th century ] We should have a mention if the person is a saint or a elder 07:31, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
Proposals: Joanikije (Lipovac) of Montenegro, Vladimir (Bogoyavlensky) of Kiev and Gallich, Saint Anthimos of Chios, Justin Popovich, Saints Parthenios and Evmenios of Koudouma Monastery, Ilia the Righteous, Maria Skobtsova, John Iacob the Romanian (the Hozevite), Maxim Sandovich, Peter I (Petrovic) of Cetinje, Petar (Zimonjić) of Dabar-Bosna, Arsenios the Cappadocian, Theophanes (Il'minskii) of Solikamsk, Joanikije (Lipovac) of Montenegro, Archimandrite Philoumenos.
There is no need to add the proposals. If someone is missing, that is because I just havent gotten around to it ... its a lot of work and it cant all be done in one day. I was tired and needed to stop. Thanks for your keeness though, you can add these people in if you know the date of their death. Vasiliki 09:34, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- Ok. I didn't wanted to change something because that tag that you puted on the start of the article: ,,Refrein from make major changes..." something like that....
- We should do a Main Article with 20th century saints. Maraamu 15:34, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- I notice you created a new article. I know you are excited but dont rush ... duplicating at this stage will only cause mistakes. THIS page needs to be finished FIRST .. THEN we look into developing a sub-article. Vasiliki 22:51, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
Wiki Editing Proposal
In Wikipedia I was looking at the following article (which you can possibly refer to as one cross reference (for the early centuries) to ensure there are no Orthodox saints missing here): Chronological list of saints and blesseds. Anyways, I noticed they have organized it in an Excel-like/Table-type format, with cells. Wondering if this format is possible here or might look better; headings can also include: Date, Name, Birth, Death/Feastday, Notes. It would mean a lot more work but I thought I would at least draw your attention to it. :)
Plus, it might be a good idea to follow the Wikipedia format and create a single article for each century, if there is enough content. :)
If we are to include every Orthodox saint, then this is a long long long term project. We would have to go through the entire Synaxaristes and Prologue. In fact, this is one of the agenda items for the upcoming Inter-Orthodox Synod this summer. There is another Greek Orthodox site which has the same purpose and is actively doing the same thing; they have a great start on things, have a look:
- Rev. Oeconomos Christopher Klitou (Holy Metropolitan Diocese of Limassol, Cyprus). The Orthodox Pages: WHEN IS MY NAMEDAY?. (fairly comprehensive listings, both eastern and western)
Angellight 888 23:43, May 27, 2009 (UTC)
- P.S. - besides the two websites above, we can also check of course the OrthodoxWiki calendar right here, for all 365 days of the year. Whether the sources are 1) Synaxaristes, 2) Prologue, 3) OW Calendar, 4) Other sites -- the fact remains that there will be some Saints for which there are no known or near dates at all; at that point you may wish to make a decision on whether to include those in the article, since this article is date based.
- A further idea I have is to enlist volunteers (as a workgroup of sorts) to help out with different centuries; they will all need to have access to the sources first though. I realize this scope I have proposed is major, but it would likely make for a well written, comprehensive and thus respected article people will refer to. Alternatively, our scope here could be limited to the more major saints. Either way the scope must be clear. Angellight 888 01:23, May 28, 2009 (UTC)