Talk:St. Petroc Monastery (Cascades, Tasmania)
- Archive 1 of Discussion: 2-4/Nov
Protecting of 4/Nov
This article has been protected because of a long sequence of edits. A few days to cool the keyboards, I think, are in order. All edits on this article should in future, imho, be done with official information (ie Monastery or Diocesan) to avoid this kind of editing based on unverifiable personal experience or hearsay or whatnot. -- Pistevo 20:21, 3 November 2005 (CST)
- I think we'll freeze the article here for awhile. By my judgment, it contains some good information about the monastery, without getting into anything contentious. I've reverted "various parts of the military" back to "seamen" in light of this clarification from Fr. Michael: "seamen" refers to all mariners - mostly merchant seamen (Webster's defines a seaman as a person skilled in seamanship .....)" Fr. John 22:49, 4 November 2005 (CST)
- I've just protected the article again. Please discuss any future revisions on this talk page before they happen. Thanks. — FrJohn (talk) 19:04, October 9, 2006 (CDT)
Fr Michael of Saint Petroc Monastery has been suspended and retired by Metropolitan Hilarion. See below
February 23, 2013 No. 2-28-13
In view of his vioations of the canons by disrespect of the person of the Patriarch and other members of the Hierarchy, lengthy absences from his parish in Hobart, Tasmania, causing spiritual neglect of the faithful of his church community, and the constant inflammatory and unedifying negative comments which he publicly broadcasts within the religious media, bringing disrepute to the Orthodox witness of the Western Rite movement, Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood), cleric of the Australia and New Zealand Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, is hereby suspended and relieved of all his priestly duties and obligations concerning the Western Rite in the United Kingdom and elsewhere, and is retired from active service in the Church. Given the above, any and all blessings for his websites are hereby withdrawn.
Metropolitan Hilarion, Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
- As this article is about St Petroc's Monastery (rather than its superior), I have added this information briefly in terms of how it affects the monastery. Currently, there is no article about Fr Michael (and, at least for a few months, this is probably a good thing). — by Pιsτévο talk complaints at 17:41, March 6, 2013 (HST)
FYI a) the building where St Dyfan (40 Alexander St, Sandy Bay) was based was been sold by the University of Tasmania some time ago and so doesn't exist. Also Fr Michael has not been an accredited chaplain there for some considerable time. So stricly speaking Saint Petroc Monastery (an apartment chapel) in McRobies Road, South Hobart is now and has been the only physical manifestation of SPM.
b) but to add complexity, there is another ROCOR priest Fr Barry Jefferies who has also conducted services at SPM at various times, and may continue to do so because he hasn't been suspended. So I'm not sure that the comment "This means that the monastery's lone monk can no longer celebrate services." is strictly correct.
Sorry to burden you with complexity--nothing about SPM seems straightforward.
"Currently, there is no article about Fr Michael (and, at least for a few months, this is probably a good thing)" --couldn't agree more.
- Regarding (a) - I think this has been addressed by the article's most recent edit; and regarding (b), Fr Barry is a married priest (and therefore not a monk). And of course, Fr Barry can't be an attached to a greater SPM movement because this movement probably doesn't exist anymore (given that the ukase you cited has removed the head without replacement) - if Fr Michael was a priest of the Diocese of ANZ (as per ukase), then ISTM that Fr Barry unquestionably is.
- Of course, I see the complexity :-) - does all that seem to be a good place to leave the article for now? — by Pιsτévο talk complaints at 19:22, March 6, 2013 (HST)