|This page is for only for discussing the layout and content of the Main Page. Please use the OrthodoxWiki:Trapeza for general site discussion. Use the + tab at the top of this page if you want to add a discussion topic about the Main Page.|
A suggestion about the saints of the day
I know that a majority of the Orthodox in America are on the New Calendar, but since a majority of the Orthodox in the world are on the Old, would it be possible to list the saints of the day according to each calendar... somewhat along the lines of what is done on the main page of Orthodoxinfo.com?
-Fr. John Whiteford 3-22-07 (3-09-07 o.s.) :)
- There are two possibilities for this that I can think of:
- Edit all 366 calendar day templates to include a separate section for the OC day. (This will require some rearranging of the main page design to account for the extra text.)
- Figure out some way to code the wiki to display a separate section which automatically figures -13 days. At the moment, the daily feasts section is possible because the wiki "knows" what day it is today. (This will also require redesign for the main page.)
- Of these two, I don't know how to do the latter, but it would require much less work.
- The difficulty with the former, aside from being a large amount of work, would be that it would make all the many thousands of internal links to dates confused: to which date should they link? Both? The calendar local to the saint when he died? Either way, this would require a level of work I don't even want to begin to imagine.
- I'm hoping perhaps FrJohn knows of some module or something he can plug in or write to teach the wiki how to figure out what day it was 13 days ago. It seems like a relatively simple thing for a computer to figure. The first solution seems almost insurmountable to me.