Talk:List of parishes in Pennsylvania (USA)
I have broken this page down by geographic area because of the vast number of Orthodox parishes in the state. Generally speaking, the following nomenclatures apply:
- Northwestern Pennsylvania includes all counties from Erie south to Lawrence, and west as far as Warren to Clarion and Venango.
- Greater Pittsburgh is the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler, Beaver, Greene, Indiana, Washington, and Westmoreland.
- Central Pennsylvania is everything between Greater Pittsburgh and the Philadelphia region except the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, including the Altoona-Johnstown area, Harrisburg, and York-Lancaster.
- Northeastern Pennsylvania/Wyoming Valley is the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and the adjoining counties, extending into the outlying Pocono region.
- Lehigh Valley is the counties of Northampton and Lehigh.
- Finally, Greater Philadelphia is the Philadelphia metro area, including Chester, Berks, Bucks, Delaware, and Montgomery counties as well as the city itself.
Also, I've described parishes by precise name where such is available (generally from the parish's web page). Where it's not available, I've just referred to the generic name (i.e., "St. John"). All information has been derived from the various jurisdictions' web pages and church web pages, as well as personal knowledge and research.
- Misha 17:42, December 30, 2005 (CST)