Sunday of the Fathers of the First Six Councils
The Sunday of the Fathers of the First Six Councils is on the 9th Sunday after Pentecost.
Lights on the earth
The Holy Fathers of the Ecumenical Councils are honored by the Church because, based upon the preaching of the Apostles, they have established one faith for the Church. Guided by the grace of the Holy Spirit, and accepted by the Church. The Ecumenical Councils are the highest authority in the Church, infallible.
Other feast days
The Fathers of the First Six Councils are also commemorated on other days of the liturgical year:
- The Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, Nicea I, are commemorated on May 29 and also on the seventh Sunday after Pascha.
- The Fathers of the Second Ecumenical Council, Constantinople I, are commemorated on May 22.
- The Fathers of the Third Ecumenical Council, Ephesus, are commemorated on September 9.
- The Fathers of the Fourth Ecumenical Council Chalcedon, are commemorated on July 16.
- The Fathers of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, Constnatinople II, are commemorated on July 25.
- The Fathers of the Sixth Ecumenical Council, Constantinople III, are commemorated on January 23.
The Fathers of the Seventh Ecumenical Council, Nicea II, are commemorated on the Sunday nearest to October 11 and not with this feast.
- You are most glorious, O Christ our God!
- You have established the Holy Fathers as lights on the earth!
- Through them you have guided us to the true faith!
- O greatly Compassionate One, glory to You!
Kontakion - Tone 8
- The Apostles' preaching and the Fathers' doctrines
- Have established one faith for the Church.
- Adorned with the robe of truth, woven from heavenly theology,
- It defines and glorifies the great mystery of Orthodoxy!