Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Archim. Basil (Patr. Vicar)
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Amphilochios
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
This article seeks to compile the statistics of the Orthodox Church in Australia into a single place.
Orthodox in Australia - Census 2001
- Number of Orthodox in Australia: 529 444, or 2.82% of Australia's population.
There are difficulties with using the Australian census as defining how many Orthodox are of various nationalities, as Greek Orthodox was a box able to be ticked, whereas to be included in any other jurisdiction required writing in the name.
- Albanian Orthodox: 159
- Antiochian Orthodox: 7 525
- Greek Orthodox: 402 997
- Romanian Orthodox: 1 471
- Russian Orthodox: 18506
- Serbian Orthodox: 42405
- Unspecified Orthodox: 38 441
It must be noted that these figures are, for various reasons (eg the language limitations of recent migrants), unreliable. An internal census by the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand found there to be 37 490 Orthodox in the Archdiocese.
Monasteries and Monastics in Australia
- Total number of monastic communities in Australia: 16 Monastic Communities.
- Male Monasteries: 9 cenobitic monasteries, with 1 skete. ~19 monks living in the monasteries.
- Female Monasteries: 5 cenobitic monasteries, with 1 skete. ~24 nuns living in the monasteries.
- ROCOR Monasteries: 7 communities; 4 male monasteries and 1 male skete (total of ~9 monks), 2 female (total ~10 nuns).
- GOA Monasteries: 5 communities; 3 male monasteries (total ~8 monks), 2 female (total ~11 nuns)
- Serbian Monasteries: 3 communities; 2 male monasteries, 1 female skete.
- Antiochian Monasteries: 1 female monastery (total ~1 nun).