Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
The Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA) is an organization founded in 1960 and designed to help cooperation among the several Orthodox Christian jurisdictions to be found in the Americas. It acts as a clearinghouse for educational, charitable, and missionary work in the Americas. Its member hierarchs meet semi-annually for discussion and decisions on inter-Orthodox and ecumenical matters, to review the work of its commissions and dialogues, and to plan future events.
The members of SCOBA are represented by archbishops, metropolitans, and bishops of the Orthodox Churches in North and South America that are in communion with the four ancient Orthodox Patriarchates of Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem, and those that are in communion with them. A number of the member jurisdictions are canonically subject to the Church of Constantinople. Not all jurisdictions on American soil which are in communion with these patriarchates are also members of SCOBA (e.g., the churches in the US belonging to the Church of Jerusalem or the Church of Russia).
In November of 1994, at the famous Ligonier Meeting at the Antiochian Village in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, the hierarchs of SCOBA voted together in terms of forming an Orthodox Church of America, a single holy synod and church administration for all Orthodox Christians living in America, declaring themselves no longer to be a diaspora but rather a missionary church. The outcome of that meeting has yet to come to fruition.
- Albanian Orthodox Diocese of America
- American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese
- Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
- Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- Orthodox Church in America
- Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in America and Canada
- Serbian Orthodox Church in the USA and Canada
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the USA
- Archbishop Demetrios (Trakatellis), Chair
- Metropolitan Philip (Saliba), Vice-Chair
- Metropolitan Christopher, Secretary
- Metropolitan Nicholas, Treasurer
- Bishop Dimitrios, General Secretary
- Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting (EOCS)
- International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC)
- Orthodox Christian Education Commission (OCEC)
- Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF)
- Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC)
- Orthodox Christian Network (OCN)