Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Churches in Australia
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Churches in Australia (SCCOCA) was an organisation founded in 1979 under the leadership of Greek Archbishop Stylianos (Harkianakis) of Australia and intended to help cooperation among the Orthodox jurisdictions in Australia, under the permanent chairmanship of the representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of Australasia: delegation consisting of V. Rev. Fr. Nicolas Mansour (Dean), legate of Bishop Gibran.
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia: delegation consisting of Archbishop Stylianos, Archimandrite Stephanos (vicar-general of the archdiocese), and Mr James Samios (legal counsel and director of public relations for the archdiocese).
- Romanian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand: delegation consisting of V. Rev. Dr. Gabriel Popescu.
- ROCOR - Diocese of Australia and New Zealand: delegation consisting of Archbishop Theodosius and Fr Nicholas Gan. (since withdrawn)
- Serbian Orthodox Church in Australia and New Zealand: delegation consisting of Bishop Vasilije and Fr Milorad Loncar.
Regarding the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia
Because of tensions created by the rise in ecumenism, ROCOR chose to withdraw from membership in SCCOCA.
According to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, the acceptance of schismatic Romanian communities run by defrocked priests has forced SCCOCA to exclude the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand from membership until said actions are reversed.citation needed
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese considers SCCOCA to be defunct; however, according to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, SCCOCA member churches concelebrate on the Vespers of Orthodoxy and Thomas Sunday.
In March 2006, Vespers of the Sunday of Orthodoxy was celebrated at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Marrickville with Archbishop Stylianos of the Greek Orthodox Church, the Bishop Milutin of the Serbian Orthodox Church, as well as representative clergy from the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Partriarchate) and the Romanian Orthodox Church. In total about 35 clergy were present surrounded by about 500 faithful. The event was powerful, sombre and moving as each of the jurisdictions read the testimony from the 7th Ecumenical council in their respective languages as well as English. The ceremony ended with exchanges of words of love and solidarity by the bishops.
- History of SCCOCA from the website of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia