St. Petroc Monastery (Cascades, Tasmania)
|Saint Petroc Monastery|
|Type||Semi-Eremitic Male Monastery|
|Location||Cascades, Tasmania, Australia|
|Music used||Western Rite, Anglican style|
Saint Petroc Monastery is a semi-eremitic monastic community for men in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia located in Cascades, Tasmania. In 1997 it became a ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) establishment under the omophorion of His Grace Archbishop Hilarion (Kapral) of Sydney. The current superior is Hieromonk Michael Mansbridge-Wood, and has been assigned the primary task of attracting Australians of Anglo-Celtic background to Orthodoxy using the Western Rite of the Orthodox Church.
The present accommodation is very small, with a small chapel, on the lower slopes of Mount Wellington. The Monastery has the mechanism for attached monastery missions and parishes, and has a married priest doing Orthodox Chaplaincy work with the university and seamen.
- 1992 - Saint Petroc Monastery founded as an Anglo-Catholic monastery.
- 1997 - The monastery approaches, and was received, by Archbishop Hilarion (Kapral) into the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia.
- 1998 - The monastery begins the mission parish of Saint Stephen's in Launceston. Fr. Michael becomes a chaplain at the University of Tasmania.
- 2003 - Saint Colman Prayer Book, compiled by the monastery, is authorised for use in ROCOR.
- 2004 June - Monastery, along with Western Rite clergy from Australia and New Zealand, participates in a meeting for the future of the Western Rite in Australasia.
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Met Basilios
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Siluan
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
- Monastery homepage
- Archdiocesan homepage
- Chaplaincy of University of Tasmania, where Fr Michael is the Orthodox Chaplain and conducts services.
|Orthodoxy in Australia: Monasteries|
|Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia|
| Male: Pantanassa | St George | St John |
Female: Gorgoepikoos | Holy Cross
|Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia|
| Male: Holy Transfiguration | Archangel Michael |
Proph. Elias | St John the Baptist | Holy Trinity
Female: Our Lady of Kazan | Presentation
| Male: New Kalenic (Serbian) | St Sava (Serbian) |
Female: St Anna (Antiochian) | Nativity Skete (Serbian)