Difference between revisions of "St. Nicholas Cathedral (Washington, D.C.)"
|Line 22:||Line 22:|
Revision as of 00:09, October 19, 2008
St. Nicholas Cathedral (Washington, D.C.) is the primatial cathedral of His Beatitude Herman, Archbishop of Washington and New York, Metropolitan of All America and Canada of the Orthodox Church in America. The Very Rev. Constantine White has served as the dean of the cathedral since 1998.
General information and history
The original parish church was founded in 1930 as the Russian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas. The property upon which the cathedral is built was purchased in 1951. The substructure (basement) was completed in 1954 and was used for church services until the superstructure was completed in late 1962.
Architecture and iconography
The cathedral architecture is based on the 12th century St. Demetrius Cathedral of Vladimir, Russia. Beginning in 1991, dedicated iconographers from Moscow led by Alexander Maskalionov wrote icons throughout the nave in the traditional style. This work was completed in 1994.
The cathedral is located at 3500 Massachusetts Ave NW at the corner of Edmund Street, in the District of Columbia.