St. Gregory Palamas Monastery (Hayesville, Ohio)
The Monastery of Saint Gregory Palamas was established in 1982 by Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh on a farm purchased from another religious group. The Monastery is located in north central Ohio, in a rural, wooded agricultural area, about 15 miles east of Mansfield.
The main church of the monastery, built in what may be described as "Ohio Byzantine architecture," was consecrated in 1989 by Archbishop Iakovos, who led the Greek Archdiocese from 1959 to 1996. Services are conducted primarily in English.
In 1993 a large two-story monastery building was erected, with additional guest facilities, as a part of a general outreach to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians in the area. With room for seven overnight male guests, the monastery is often host to large groups of visitors, including women and children, and students from neighboring high schools and colleges.
There is also a closely associated community for women located about two miles away, Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple Skete, which is not a dependency but an independent hesychastarion. There is also another community nearby founded by monastics originally from St. Gregory's, St. Theodore House (Galion, Ohio).
This monastery is renowned for its production of liturgical texts into contemporary English that fit a Byzantine meter. The main translator and arranger is Hieromonk Seraphim (Dedes), a Greek-American monk whose monastic formation includes 16 years at St. Paul's Monastery on Mount Athos.