St. Gregory Palamas Monastery (Hayesville, Ohio)
|Saint Gregory Palamas Monastery|
|Superior||while Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh is the official abbot, Archimandrite Joseph is the acting superior|
|Approx. size||8 monks|
|Music used||Byzantine Chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||Nov 14, Aug 6|
|Official website||Official website|
The Monastery of Saint Gregory Palamas was established in 1982 by Metropolitan Maximos (Aghiorgoussis) of Pittsburgh on a farm purchased from the Greek Old Calendarists. The monastery is located in north central Ohio, in a rural, wooded agricultural area, about 15 miles east of Mansfield.
The main church of the monastery, built in what may be described as "Ohio Byzantine architecture," was consecrated in 1989 by Archbishop Iakovos, who led the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese from 1959 to 1996.
In 1993 a large two-story monastery building was erected, with additional guest facilities, as a part of a general outreach to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians in the area. With room for seven overnight male guests, the monastery is often host to large groups of visitors, including women and children, and students from neighboring high schools and colleges.
Services are conducted primarily in English.
There is also a closely associated community for women located about two miles away, Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple Skete, which is not a dependency but an independent hesychasterion. There is also another community nearby founded by monastics originally from St. Gregory's, St. Theodore House (Galion, Ohio), which, however, closed on October 31, 2012..
This monastery is renowned for its production of liturgical texts into contemporary English that fit a Byzantine meter. The main translator and arranger is Hieromonk Seraphim (Dedes), a Greek-American monk whose monastic formation includes sixteen years at St. Paul's Monastery on Mount Athos.