Difference between revisions of "St. George Free Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory)"
m (St George Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australia) moved to St George Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory))
m (St George Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory) moved to St. George Serbian Orthodox Church (Forrest, Australian Capital Territory))
Revision as of 06:57, April 30, 2006
The St George Serbian Orthodox Church in Forrest, Australia, was formed in 1955, ended in 1963, and resurrected in 1992. From 1963-1992, a group of former Yugolav Royal Military officers registered the 'Free Serbian Orthodox Church St George Inc' organisation with the ACT government, acquired land in the suburb of Forrest, built a church building, a hall which they call to this day 'Serbian Centre Draza Mihailovic', and a monument to Yugoslav General Dragoljub 'Draza' Mihailovic, the first of its kind anywhere in the world.
The First President of the Church-School Community (in 1955) was Vojislav Miletic, who, together with his wife Jelena, became a major benefactor to St Sava Monastery in Elaine, Victoria.
The interior of the church was painted by Czech artist Karl Matzek in the 1970s and 1980s, primarily in the Western mural style.
Since 1992, when the schismatic 'Free Church' came into the Serbian Patriarchal fold, it has been visited by several canonical Orthodox bishops, including the Serbian Patriarch Pavle in November 2004.
- Fr Dusan Popovic (19??-1963)
- Fr Jakov Jovic 'prophet' (1992-2004)
- Fr Stanisa Ostojic (2004-present)
Address: 32 National Circuit, Forrest, ACT
Postal Address: PO Box 3339, Manuka ACT 2603
Fr Stanisa Tel: 0421-316-172