Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β


Varlaam Monastery (Meteora)

1,493 bytes added, 00:48, January 12, 2010
{{stub}}The '''Varlaam Monastery''' or '''Barlaam Monastery''' in [[Meteora]] is one of four active male monasteries in the Meteora [[monastery]] complex in Greece. It is the second largest monastery in the [[monasticism|monastic]] community.
The monastery was founded in 1517 by Theophanis and Nektarios Apsaradas on the site of an earlier monastery that was established by an [[ascetic]] anchorite named Varlaam. In 1350, Varlaam climbed to the top of the pinnacle where he established a cell for himself and build three small [[chapel]]s and a water tank. After his death the site was abandoned as he was a solitary.
The [[katholikon]]hieromonks Theophanis and Nektarios Apsaradas, who were from ioanina, re-occupied the monastery site two hundred years later. They renovated Varlaam's small chapel, which is the ''Parekklesion of the Three'' dedicated to the [[Three Holy Hierarchs|Three Bishops]] (St. [[Basil the Great]], St. [[Gregory the Theologian]], and St. [[John Chrysostom]]), is of the Athonite style of a cross-. Additional renovation was done in-square 1627 and was built frescos were painted in 1541/15421637.
Over a period of twenty-two years using a tower and a rope and pulley system with a basket they hoisted the materials needed for construction of their monastery. After all the materials were in place, they built the main monastery [[church]], the [[katholikon]] dedicated to All Saints, in twenty days.  The monastery was occupied continuously throughout the sixteenth century and into the seventeenth after which it began to decline. It was only in early nineteenth that steps were first cut in the rock to get the top of the pinnacle.  ==Facilities==The katholikon is of the Athonite style of a cross-in-square topped with a dome in each section and was built in 1541/1542. The tower with its old windlass and basket, that dates from 1536, has been used as recently as 1961 to 1963 to support renovations when the [[refectory]] was modified as the museum.  In 1548, the frescos in the monastery main church were done painted by the [[iconography|iconographer]] Frangos Katelanosof Thebes. The frescos in the narthex were painted in 1566 by George and Frangos, brothers from Thebes. The monastery also possesses a collection of artifacts including [[relics]], carved wooden crosses, [[icon]]s, embroidered [[epitaphios|epitaphia‎]], and other ecclesiastical items. These are displayed in the monastery museum. The monastery also possesses over 300 manuscripts.
==External link==
*[http://www.360citiessacred-destinations.netcom/imagegreece/meteora_holy_monastery_varlaam Virtual Tour of the Holy meteora-varlaam-monastery Varlaam Monastery of Varlaam, Meteora], Panoramas by *[ Nikos Giannakopoulosmeteora_holy_monastery_varlaam Virtual Tour of the Holy Monastery of Varlaam].
*[ Meteora: Monasteries]