Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β


Cave of the Apocalypse

1,444 bytes added, 16:26, February 10, 2012
The '''Cave of the Apocalypse''', is situated between the villages of Skala and Chora. The view from the cave and on the mysticism island of the atmosphere are incredible[[Patmos]] in Greece. When he first arrived It is in Patmos, Christodoulos the Latrinos refurbished the this cavethat Christians believe St. Today[[John the Theologian]] saw Christ and visions of "fire and brimstone" that John dictated to his disciple, a pilgrim can see the place at which the Apocalypse was written[[Prochoros]], in what is known today as the place where St[[Book of Revelation]]. John stayedIt is said, that the Voice of God could be heard coming from the cleft of the massive rock that opened up is still visible in there and through the cave today. This rock is divided into three which God dictated Christians say symbolises the Apocalypse [[Holy Trinity]]. The cave is considered to St. John, be the first hermitage on the point were island because of the Evangelist lay his head to rest saint's presence. The view from this cave and a curve on the rock, which he would hold onto, in order to rise - the southern part mysticism of the cave has been turned into a churchatmosphere is incredible.
{{stub}}Today, a pilgrim can see the place at which the Apocalypse was written, the place where St. John stayed, the massive rock that opened up in there and through which God dictated the Apocalypse to St. John, the point were the Evangelist lay his head to rest and a curve on the rock, which he would hold onto, in order to rise - the southern part of the cave has been turned into a church. This is a UNESCO World heritage site <ref>UNESCO, World Heritage Site #942, webpage: [ WHC-UNESCO-942]</ref>
== World Heritage Classification, UNESCO History==*Date In this Holy cave, a little church was also built to honour the [[Translation (relics)|translation]] (metastasis) of Inscription - 1999*Reference Nothe Evangelist, St. 942*Criteria: [[John the Theologian|John]] (iiihonoured every year [[September 26]]). Later, in the time of St. Christodoulos (iv) and (vi1088), another little church was added to honour St. Anna, the mother of the [[Theotokos|Virgin Mary]]. **''(iii)'' - The town With the passing of Chorá on time, the island chain of Pátmos is one hermits at the Cave, have contributed to the addition of cells and little churches around the few settlements Cave forming the current building structure in Greece that have evolved uninterruptedly since the 12th centuryregion today. There  Also, near the grounds, are few other places buildings dedicated to the school of the Nation of Patmos, founded in 1713 by the world where religious ceremonies that date back [[deacon]] [[Makarios (Kalogeras)]]. There are also small churches dedicated to the early Christian times are still being practised unchangedSt. John, St. Anna, St. Artemios and St. Nicholas. <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre </ref>**== The ''Brevium'' ==The '''Brevium'''(iv), is a documentary book called '' - The Brevium of the Holy Monastery of Hagios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John the Theologian) '' and contains written records from priests and hermits about the Cave life of the Apocalypse on monastery; beginning from 1552 and continuing to this present day.  In this book, the island first written record of Pátmos, together with the associated medieval settlement of Chorá, constitute an exceptional example death of a traditional Greek Orthodox pilgrimage centre of outstanding architectural interest. hermit was recorded by a ''Father Geramios'' in 1656 <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre Brevium, March 23, 1578 </ref>about "Father Serafim from Kos died in the Apocalypse about 1634.". Other important historical facts are recorded in this book including:* The Archbishop of Samos, Joseph Georgirinis Milius lived in the Holy cave in 1671.**''(vi)'' - The Monastery the Archbishop wrote a description of Hagios Ioannis Theologos and the Cave island of Patmos in which he mentions the Apocalypse commemorate hermitages and local worship of the site where St John area including a story about a fig tree growing in the Theologian (Divine), area of the “Beloved Disciple”, composed two monastery showing hte letters of the most sacred Christian worksword "Apocalypse"''.* November 8, his Gospel and 1672 the Apocalypse. Reverand Father Ioakim Matilas died in "Theoskepasti" <ref> United Nations - Copyright © 1992-2008 UNESCO World Heritage Centre Another reference for the Cave, in Greek. </ref> <ref> Note on Criterion (iv) - A delegate .* [[Makarios Kalogeras]], the founder of Thailand raised the question ''Patmiada'' lived and died in the Cave in 1737.* the Metropolitan Daniel of eligibility of criterion Bizyes lived in the Cave for a while (vid. August 13, 1813). He thought that * the criterion should be applied. This recommendation was also endorsed by ICOMOS hermit Theokitsos from Axario of Asia Minor, used the Cave as a place for peace and finally dided in the CommitteeCave in March 29, 1917. Delegates and observers commended * the monk Ignatius Gazos the Fryos, lived for 45 years in the high values hermitage of the site Apollo and decided to keep the criteriondied December 11, 1918.</ref>*Documentations**1999the monk Isidoros Stratos died in the cave on May 25, [ "Advisory Body Evaluation"]**1999Finally, the monk [ "Nomination File"] [Amphilochios (9.886 MB fileMakris)**1999]], [ Decision "Report director of the Apocalypse and the founder of the Holy Monastery of the 23rd Session Evangelismos, renovated the church of St. Anna and redecorated the Committee"]walls with murals in 1925. The Apocalypse cave is no longer used as a hermitage due to the location being recognised as an international shrine for Christian pilgrims.
== References ==
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]
[[Category:Orthodox UNESCOWorld Heritage Sites]][[Category:Pilgrimage Sites]]