|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Met Basilios
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Siluan
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
Rev. Fr Seraphim Raymond Slade was a priest in the Diocese of Australia and New Zealand in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. He was noted as the first Indigenous Australian ordained to the priesthood in the Orthodox Church, and as the founder of the Australian Indigenous Orthodox Mission.
- Married to Matushka Helen.
- Worked for many years as a radio broadcaster in regional communities.
- Converted to Orthodoxy through reading the life and works of St John of Shanghai and San Francisco.
- Served as a Subdeacon within the ROCOR Diocese. He served in Hobart, leading reader services and supporting the parish, and in Melbourne at the Protection Cathedral.
- 2004: Began working in Aboriginal prison ministry.
- 2008 March: Began missionary work among the Aboriginal people.
- 2008 July 7: Ordained to the diaconate in [[Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St John the Baptist (Canberra, ACT)|Canberra.
- 2009 Jan 22: Ordained to the priesthood in Melbourne.
- 2009: Established a chapel dedicated to St John of Shanghai and San Francisco, which was blessed by Metropolitan Hilarion on 4 July. Served there and in Canberra.
- Particularly in his final years, Fr Seraphim had a long-standing illness. He underwent surgery in December 2018, but as a result of complications, he reposed on 25 December 2018. He was survived by his matushka, Helen.
- New St John of Shanghai Church Consecrated for An Orthodox Aboriginal Community
- Unofficial obituaries posted on Facebook