Revision as of 03:00, June 1, 2020 by Sdoelman (Added in hyperlinks)
The following list explains the references:
- Confessor: one who has suffered for the faith but not martyred outright
- Hiero-confessor: one who has suffered for the faith, but not martyred, who is also a clergyman.
- Enlightener of N. or Illuminator of N.: the saint who first brought the faith to a people or region, or who did major work of evangelization there as a missionary or evangelist
- Equal-to-the-Apostles: one whose work greatly built up the Church, whether through direct missionary work or through assisting the Church's place in society
- Fool-for-Christ: a saint known for his apparent, yet holy, insanity
- God-bearer: one who bears God within himself and is aflame in heart with love for Him 
- Great-martyr: one who was martyred for the faith and suffered torture
- Hieromartyr: a martyr who is also a clergyman
- Martyr: one who has died for the faith
- Merciful: one known for charitable work, especially serving the poor
- Myrrh-bearer: one of the women who were present at Christ's passion and went to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus
- Myrrh-streaming, Myrrh-gusher, or Myroblete: the relics of the saint exude holy and sweet-smelling (and often miraculous) oil
- New-martyr: a martyr often bearing the same name as a more ancient martyr, but usually more recent in the Church's history
- Passion-bearer: one who faced his death in a Christ-like manner
- Protomartyr: the first martyr in a given region (in the case of Stephen the Protomartyr, the first martyr of the whole Church)
- Right-believing: an epithet used for sainted secular rulers
- Righteous: a holy person under the Old Covenant (Old Testament Israel) but also sometimes used for married saints of the New Covenant (the Church); righteous may also used as a translation for the Greek hosios, which is usually translated as "venerable."
- Unmercenary: a saint who refused to take payment for healing, especially in serving the poor
- Venerable: a monastic saint
- Venerable-martyr: a martyred monastic
- Virgin-martyr: an unmarried, non-monastic, chaste female martyr
- Wonderworker: a saint renowned for performing miracles, also called "miracle-worker"