Revision as of 03:00, January 11, 2008 by ASDamick (commented out "notes"; notes should either be comment out or on the Talk page)
Commemorated by the Holy Church on the 17th of Decemeber
Daniel as Prophet
Christ refers to Daniel as a prophet in mark 13:14 and in Matthew 24:15.
The name "Daniel"
The name Daniel in Hebrew means "God is my Judge" or "God is judging".
- ca. 604 BC to 536 BC - the seventy years of the Babylonian exile of the Jews.
- 559 BC - Cyrus the Persian's reign begins.
- 556 BC
- [Daniel 10:1-3] - Daniel (or Baltasar) commences a three week Passover fast (see Deut. 16:5-6) held in the first month and in Jerusalem.
- [Daniel 10:4-7] - Daniel has a vision on the 24th day of that month.
- According to St Basil and St Hippolytos, this was of the prefiguration of the Incarnation of Christ. According to St Ephraim the Syrian and St Chrysostom, Daniel beheld a vision of an angel.
- 539 BC - Darius Mede begins his reign over the Chaldean kingdom (Babbylon had been taken by the Medes and Persians under Cyrus in the year 539-538).
- 539 BC to 536 BC
- [Daniel 9:1-3] - Daniel prays for the people in supplications, fasts and dons sackcloth.
- 536 BC - Babylonian exile of Jews is completed.
- 530 BC (ca.529 BC) - Cyrus the Persian dies in August.