Difference between revisions of "Philaret (Vakhromeyev) of Minsk"
Latest revision as of 08:18, May 31, 2012
His Eminence Metropolitan Filaret (Vakhromeyev), born Kirill Varfolomeyevich Vakhromeyev ((Russian) Кирилл Варфоломеевич Вахромеев), is the current Metropolitan of Minsk and Slutsk, and the Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus.
Born March 21, 1935 in Moscow, Kirill attended the Moscow Theological Seminary from 1953-1957, and then the Moscow Theological Academy from 1957-1961.
During the course of his studies, he chose the name Filaret (in honour of the Righteous Philaret the Merciful), when he received the monastic tonsure on April 3, 1959. Two years later in 1961, he graduated from the Academy with a doctorate in theology.
From September 1963 he served as the Head of the Graduate School of the Moscow Theological Academy, and on October 8, 1963 he became an Archimandrite. On October 24, 1965 he was consecrated bishop at the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra.
From January 6, 1971 to August 25, 1972 he temporarily ruled the diocese of Kaliningrad.
On September 9, 1971 he was consecrated as Archbishop, and on April 15, 1975 as Metropolitan.
After serving in Tikhvin, Kaliningrad and Moscow, Filaret was appointed Metropolitan of Minsk and the entire Belarusian SSR in 1978.
In 1989, as the collapse of the Soviet Union was imminent, Filaret was appointed to become the Patriarchal Exarch of the new country of Belarus. He also served a short term in the Supreme Council of Belarusian SSR as a people's deputy.
Philaret (Vakhromeyev) of Minsk
|Bishop of Tikhvin,
Vicar of the Diocese of Leningrad
October 24, 1965 - May 14, 1966
|Bishop of Dmitrov,
Vicar of the Diocese of Moscow
May 14, 1966 - April 18, 1973
|Metropolitan of Berlin and Central Europe
April 18, 1973 - October 10, 1978
|4th Chairman of the Department for External Church Relations of Moscow Patriarchate
April 14, 1981 - November 13, 1989
|Metropolitan of Minsk and Slutsk,
Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus
October 10, 1978 - Present
- (Russian) National Legal Internet Portal of the Republic of Belarus. The Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus N 137 on March 1, 2006. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- (Russian) Герои Беларуси. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- Metropolian Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk begins his visit to Italy. Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE (OCP). May 6, 2010.
- Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with participants in 3rd International Congress of Fellowship of Orthodox Youth. Official website of the Department for External Church Relations. August 6, 2010.
- Metropolitan Filaret calls for Greece to free Abbot Ephraim. Belarusian Telegraph Agency (BELTA). January 12, 2012.