Peter Kohanik

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 17:44, February 14, 2013 by Чръный человек (talk | contribs) (Biography)
Jump to: navigation, search

Peter G. Kohanik (Russian: Пётр Юрьевич Коханик, Pyotr Yuryevich Kokhanik; August 22, 1880, village Becherov, Austria-Hungary - May 20, 1969, Passaic, New Jersey) was protopresbyter of the Northern American metropolia, a prominent representative of сarpatho-rusyn movement in the U.S.


Peter Kohanik was born in house 108 on August 22, 1880, the son of George Kohanik a village farmer and Anastasia Lescsisin in the village of Becherov which is located in present day Slovakia.

He was baptized on August 27, 1880 the Greek Catholic Church of Nativity of the Virgin Mary in Becherov by Father Michal Artim.

He received his preliminary education in Uzhgorod, Ukraine.

In 1892 his family moved to the U.S., where converted to Orthodoxy.

In 1894, he moved to Russia and entered the St. Petersburg Theological Seminary. Then transferred to the Tauride Theological Seminary (situated in Simferopol, Crimea), graduating in 1902.

He married Eugenia Dimytrievna a resident of Crimea on July 27, 1902 in his native village of Becherov.

In the same year was ordained deacon. He was ordained into the priesthood on October 13, 1902.

On January 20, 1903 Father Kohanik and his wife left for America from Cuxhaven, Germany traveling on the S.S. Auguste Victoria. They arrived at the Port of New York.

Since 1903 he is rector of St John the Baptist Church in Charleroi, Pennsylvania, since 1905 - Archangel Michael Church in Pittsburgh.

He sas dean of Pittsburgh deanery, and then Wilkes-Barrskogo deanery. The rector of the Orthodox churches in the United States. He established more than 10 new parishes in the United States.

In 1910 he was vice-president, and then from 1910 to 1923 he was Chairman of the Russian Orthodox Mutual Aid Society in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

In 1913, he was appointed secretary of the North American Spiritual Board (Diocesan Council) and head of the New York exile home.

From 1916 to 1923 editor of the church newspaper "Light", and in 1916, 1917, 1921-1923 years - the "Russian Orthodox almanacs".

Since 1917 he is klyuchar of the New York cathedral.

He was engaged in missionary work among Carpatho-Uniates and founded a number of new parishes in the United States.

C 1925 until his death was rector of the Church of St. John the Baptist in Passaic.

Since 1947 he is Dean of New Jersey deanery.

In 1951 he was awarded the right to wear the miter, later elevated to the rank of protopresbyter.

He died May 20, 1969 in Passaic, New Jersey. He buried in East Ridgelawn Cemetery in Clifton, New Jersey.