Paul (Yazigi) of Aleppo
Metropolitan Paul (Rami) Yazigi was born in 1959 in the coastal city of Lattakya (Syria) into a very devout Christian family. After graduating from the secondary school, where he excelled in his studies, he entered the University of Tishreen and pursued courses for a Civil Engineering degree. While at the university, he was active in youth ministry, sunday school, and Byzantine music training. In 1985, he was ordained a deacon. After graduating, he studied theology at the University of Thessaloniki, graduating in 1989 with a Master's degree and in 1992 with a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Theology, with excellence. His thesis, written in Greek, has been published as a book titled: Eschatology & Ethics: The Eschatological Foundations of the Life in Christ According to St. John Chrysostom (Thessaloniki, Greece, 1992). He also studied Byzantine music and iconography in Greece and at Mount Athos.
In 1992, Metr. Paul was ordained to the priesthood and began teaching patrology, ethics, and homiletics at the St. John of Damascus Institute at the University of Balamand in Lebanon. In 1994, he was elevated to the dignity of archimandrite. From 1994 to 2001 he served as Dean of the Institute of Theology. In 1999, the Holy Synod commended him for his work at the Institute. On October 2, 2000, he was elected Metropolitan of Aleppo by the Holy Synod of the Church of Antioch. His election was followed by his consecration as bishop at Mariamieh Cathedral in Damascus on October 20. He was enthroned in Aleppo on October 22.
Since his elevation to metropolitan, Metr. Paul has been active in ordination of his clergy. He has, through mid 2008, performed 24 ordinations to the holy diaconate and to the holy priesthood in Aleppo and in Turkey. He was appointed, in September 2005, representative of the Patriarchate of Antioch to the official theological discussions between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches. He also was commissioned by the Patriarch to minister the region of Hatay in Turkey that is under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate.
Writings and translations
- Homelies (I), Triodion and Pentecostarion, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Aleppo, 2006.
- Homelies (II), Minaion, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Aleppo, 2006.
- Two Voyagers between heaven & earth, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Bosra, 2005.
- St Arsenios the Capadoc, of Gerontas Paissios, ed. Holy Monastery of Balamand – Lebanon, 1997 (Translation from Greek).
- Psalms 50 & 62, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 74, 1996.
- Staretz Ilarion, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 67, 1995 (Translation from Greek).
- Staretz Samson, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 657, 1995 (Translation from Greek).
- The power of the Name, ed. Holy Monastery of the Dormition – Blemana, 1994 (Translation from English).
- Letter of love – Basics of the Christian faith, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 58, 1994 (Translation from Greek).
- Spiritual Anthologia (I), ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 57, 1994.
- St Cassionos the Roman, ed. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Lattakia, no. 54, 1993 (Translation from Greek).
- Self knowledge and agape according to Gerontas Joseph the Hesychas (Greek), Holy Monastery of Makhairas, Cyprus 2005.
- Brief account of the Ecumenical Activities in the Middle East (English), Fairacres Chronicle, Vol. 36, Issue 2, Spring 2003, Oxford, England, pp. 27-33.
- Woman in the Bible and the Church Fathers (Greek), Synaxis Eukharistias, ed. Indoktos, Greece, 2003, pp. 205-236.
- Fleshly, psychic and spiritual man according to Apostle Paul and to St John Chrysostom, Chronicle of the Theological Faculty of Balamand, issues 3-5, 2001-2002 & 2002-2003, pp. 48-65.
- Globalization (Arabic & English), Chronicle of the Theological Faculty of Balamand, issues 2-3, 1999-2000 & 2000-2001, pp. 155-203.
- Woman in the Bible and the Church Fathers (Arabic), Al Nashra, Patriarchate of Antioch; AL Arabiya, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Bosra.
- The Christian vision of unity in a multicultural world – the approach of St Maxim the Confessor (Arabic), Al Nashra, Patriarchate of Antioch.
Elevation of the Cross
- 1st Sunday of Luke The Fisher’s and The Apostle’s Faith
- 3rd Sunday of Luke Mankind And Divine Providence
- 4th Sunday of Luke The Sower & the Earth
- 5th Sunday of Luke The Human Sensitiveness About Life And Death
- 8th Sunday of Luke Who Is My Neighbour
- 9th Sunday of Luke The Fool
- Nativity Christ's Cradle or Grave
- Sunday before Epiphany Prepare the way of the Lord
- Epiphany The Divine Pleasure and Human Love
- Sunday of the Prodigal Son The Door of Repentance
- Sunday of the Last Judgment The meaning of love
- Sunday of Forgivness The Healing of Humanity
- Sunday of Orthodoxy The Icon & The Vision of GodThe Vision of GodOrthodoxy through the Past and into the Future
- Sunday of Gregory Palamas Sin from a Palamite View and from a Rational view
- Veneration of the Cross Is Christ the last ChristianThe Eternal Wooden Altar
- Sunday of St John Climacus Prayer and fastingFaith and Pain
- Sunday of St Mary of Egypt The Pleasurable or the WearisomeThe Blood of Christ and our Baptism
Palm Sunday The King of Peace
Great Monday (Mattin) The Unfruitful Fig Tree
Great Tuesday (Mattin) The Dynamic Love & the Rigid Attitude of the Pharisee
Great Wednesday (Mattin) Chastity & Resurrection
Great Wednesday (Liturgy) Theory & Practice
Great Friday (Mattin)The Golgotha of History
Great Saturday (Mattin) The Death of God & the Life of Man PENTECOSTARION
Pascha Christ is Risen
Sunday of Thomas My Lord and My God
The Myhrr bearers Women The Myrrh-Bearers
Sunday of the Paralytic The Living and Life-Giving Word
Sunday of the Samaritan Who is Jesus Christ Risen from the Dead and Living Eternally
The Ascension [http://www.alepporthodox.org/files/writings-en/pent06-4-1.pdf The Divine Glory & Human Joy]
The Fathers of 1st Ecumenical Synod Unity of Christians
Pentecost The Kneeling Service
1st Sunday of Matthew Jesus, the All in All
2sd Sunday of Matthew Call of the First Disciples
4th Sunday of Matthew The Effective Word of God
5th Sunday of Matthew Thy Kingdom Come
6th Sunday of Matthew An Age of Spirit or of Matter
10th Sunday of Matthew The Mustard Seed of Man’s Work & the Mountains of Grace
11th Sunday of Matthew The Bond Linking Myself to my Neighbor
14th Sunday of Matthew The Heavenly Wedding Garments
17th Sunday of Matthew Faith & the Atheism of Religions