Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos
The Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos consists of the entire Island of Patmos(Greek Πάτμος), Leipso, Agathonesion and Arkioi and its constituent monasteries and churches, belonging to the Church of Constantinople under the Venerable Patriarchal and Synodical Act and Statute 1155/81. Patmos island is also referred to as the Jerusalem of the Aegean Sea, since it is the island of ascetic austerity.
The Patriarchal Exarch and Abbot of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian is His Grace Archimandrite Andipas Nikitaras.
Patmos is the northernmost island of the Dodecanese and is populated with churches and communities of Orthodox Christians. During the period of Roman rule, the island fell into a decline and the population decreased and the island became a place for banishing criminals or political and religious troublemakers.
In 95 AD, St. John the Theologian was sent into exile on the island as a religious troublemaker. He remained on the island for eighteen months during which he lived in a cave below a known temple, at the time, dedicated to Diana. In this cave, he narrated a vision he was having of Jesus that is the Book of Revelation which describes the details of the Apocalypse but is more a description about the "the Church" - outside of time. Revelation was also written as an exhortation to the Christian believers to stay true to their faith during the persecutions near the end of the first century.
In 313 AD, Christianity was recognised by the Roman Empire and this also spread to the Dodecanesse. The empire of the Byzantium exercised control of Patmos and the other islands and by the 4th century the temple to Diana had been removed. Directly over this temple a church dedicated to St. John the Theologian was built but this was destroyed later between the 6th and 9th centuries during a series of raids by various Arab groups.
The island remained deserted until 1088, when the Emperor granted Patmos to the monk Christodoulos. His intention was to establish a monastery and built this monastery over the remains of the little church built over the remains of the temple to Diana. The monastery, has since been in continuous operation for over 900 years.
During the 11th and 12th centuries, the island of Patmos was also subject to raids by the Saracen and Norman pirates, which were the catalyst for the fortified walls surrounding the monastery giving it the modern day castle-like appearance. The small town (Chora) within the "castle" was probably established during the middle of the 17th century and has a labyrinth style street arrangement. 
During the Turco-Italian War of 1912, Patmos was captured and controlled by the Italians. The island remained under their control until the end of World War II, when it was returned to Greece.
The whole island is dominated by the two monasteries, built in his honour and memory, and Chora, the island’s historic center, are all declared World Heritage sites by UNESCO in 2006.
Monastery of St. John the Theologian
- See Main Article: Monastery of St. John the Theologian (Patmos, Greece)
The Monastery of St. John the Theologian was founded 1088 AD by St. Christodoulos the Latrinos, who had been granted the whole island of Patmos with a golden bull by the Emperor of Byzantium Alexis I Komninos. The monastery belongs to the Ecumenical Patriarchate; and is therefore a Patriarchal exarchate with a Patriarchal exarch, its abbot had special benefits.
The Monastery has ten chapels, four of which are located in its yard. In the Catholic of the monastery, there is a temple of unique art, created in 1829, by 12 sculptors.
Cave of the Apocalypse
- See Main Article: Cave of the Apocalypse
The Cave of the Apocalypse is situated between Skala and Chora. The view from the cave and the mysticism of the atmosphere are incredible. When he first arrived in Patmos, Christodoulos the Latrinos refurbished the cave. Today, a pilgrim can see the place at which the Apocalypse was written, the place where St. John stayed, the massive rock that opened up in there and through which God dictated the Apocalypse to St. John, the point were the Evangelist lay his head to rest and a curve on the rock, which he would hold onto, in order to rise - the southern part of the cave has been turned into a church.
List of Churches and Monasteries
- Chora, Patmos
- Parish of the Great Panagia
- Parish of Our Lady of the Cemetery
- Parish of the Ipapanti of Christ
- Skalas, Patmos
- Parish of St. John the Baptist
- Parish of St. Nicholas
- Netia, Patmos
- Parish of Apostle Thomas
- Kambos, Patmos
- Parish of the Evvagelismos of the Virgin-Mary
- Island of Leipso
- Parish of St. John the Theologian
- Island of Agathonision
- Parish of St. George
- Island of Arkioi
- Parish of the Transfiguration
Saints and Monastics
- St. John the Theologian (September 26 and May 8)
- St. Christodoulos the Latrinos, monk and wonder-worker of Patmos (March 16 and October 21)
- Apostle Thomas (First Sunday of Pentecost and October 6)
- St. Gerasimos of the Byzantium (April 7)
- St. Antipas Bishop of Pergamon (April 11)
- Virgin-martyr St. Pachomius of Russia (May 7)
- St. Leontas Archbishop of jerusalem (May 14)
- St. Phillip the Deacon (October 11)
- St. Macarius of Kalogera (January 19)
- Hieromartyr Platonos of Aivazidos (September 21)
Ancient Icon of St. John the Theologian
Theological School of Patmos
- See Main Article: Theological School of Patmos
The Theological School of Patmos was founded by the deacon Makarios Kalogeras in 733 AD.
- See Main Article: UNESCO
The Monastery of St. John the Theologian, the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Historic Centre (Chora) of the island are all protected by UNESCO. The Delegate of Thailand raised the question of eligibility of criterion (vi). He thought that the criterion should be applied. This recommendation was also endorsed by ICOMOS and the Committee. Delegates and observers commended the high values of the site and decided to keep the criterion.
- P. N. Tarazi, The New Testament - Introduction, Vol. 3 - Johannine Writings, St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, Crestwood, New York, 2004 ISBN 0-88141-264-3
- Labyrinth style street designs are common on the islands purposely arranged to create a sence of confusion to pirates or threats intent on raiding the towns.