Open main menu

OrthodoxWiki β

Our Lady of Kazan Convent (Kentlyn, New South Wales)

Holy Convent of Our Lady of Kazan
Jurisdiction ROCOR ANZ
Type Female Monastery
Founded 1956
Superior Abbess Maria
Approx. size 7 nuns
Location Kentlyn, New South Wales, Australia
Liturgical language(s) Slavonic, English
Music used Russian Chant
Calendar Julian
Feastdays celebrated 8/21 July
Official website none advertised

The Our Lady of Kazan Convent (New-Shamordino) is a monastic community for women under the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. The monastery is located in Kentlyn, New South Wales, was established in 1956 under the omophorion of His Grace Bishop Sava of Sydney by Mother Elena (Ustinov). Following the repose of Mother Evpraksia, Mother Maria was elected Abbess in 2007.

At the arrival of Hmk Joachim (Ross), Abbess Evpraksia allowed the use of the former monastery Church of All Saints to be used on Sunday and feastdays by St. John the Baptist Skete.

Brief history

  • 1956 Jun 10: Mother Elena (Ustinov) and Novice Tatiana (Skorniakov) attended a ceremony where the foundations of the Russian Orthodox church in Cabramatta were laid.
After this, Fr. Rostislav Gan, previously a spiritual director of a convent in Harbin, China, was invited by Bishop Sava to begin a convent, named 'New-Shamordino' («Новое Шамордино»), after the Russian convent near Optina desecrated by the Bolsheviks. The community was to be self-sufficient through looking after sick and frail; and was to be attached to the Cabramatta church.
Between 1956 and 1960, Pdn Peter Grishaev donated 21 acres of land in Kentlyn for the establishment of a monastery. A drive to attract novices for a male monastery began, led by Hmk Dimitry (Obuhoff), yielded three novices.
  • 1959 Mar: By this time, it was decided that the time for a male monastery was not right. Hmk Dimitry was transferred to Melbourne, one novice went with him, one novice was made to be in charge of the diocesan workshop and candle factory, and the final novice did not persue monasticism.
  • 1959 Mar: At the same time, it was decided that the space provided for the convent at Cabramatta was too crowded and impractical. They were moved to Kentlyn, retaining the feast of All Saints for their patron. In addition to Fr. Rostislav Gan, Archpriests Anthony Galushko and Ilya Pijov were appointed to conduct the daily cycle of services.
  • 1961: Archpriest Anthony Galushko was unable to continue serving at the convent due to age. He was replaced by Fr. Timothy Klopoff.
  • 1983: The chapel and residence for the nuns was built. Our Lady of Kazan became the patronal feast for the convent.
  • 1984: Following the repose of Mother Elena, the founding abbess, the monastery chose Mother Evpraxia to assume this position.
  • 2006: Mother Evpraxia reposed on 6/19 July 2006.


This article about an Australian Monastery is a stub (i.e., in need of additional material). You can help OrthodoxWiki by expanding it.

External links