OrthodoxWiki talk:Help wanted
Church Calendar project: Regarding templates, is it possible and/or desirable to have the image of the icon next to the name of the saint? Rather than having a horizontal list of saints, perhaps a vertical one, similar to the vertical column of the images. (cf. February 11) Maybe some sort of table? My main concern is that the names of the saints which are written in the icons are illegible--perhaps a caption function would serve? magda 11:54, 3 Feb 2005 (CST)
- In most browsers, there already is a caption for the image—if the mouse pointer is held over the image, the caption appears.
- The difficulty with making the list of saints vertical or with aligning the icon with such a vertical list is that such formatting is hard to do within a template, which needs to have much simpler formatting so that it fits into the formatting of the Main Page. --Rdr. Andrew 12:13, 3 Feb 2005 (CST)
Church calendar, commemoration questions
In trying to find the "saints of the day," I have found that much of the time, they are listed by different sources (see my user page for the sources I am using) to be commemorated on different dates.
- Is there a definitive source (or even one for each jurisdiction) to be consulted for these? Are there sources which should be used and sources which should not be used?
Much of the time, the day is off by one: Joseph the Hymnographer on April 3 and April 4. A ROCOR parish source and an OCA source list his commemoration on April 4, while a Greek Archdiocese source, an Antiochian source, a Antiochian parish source, and a Swedish (Old Calendar) source list his commemoration on April 3.
- What orthodoxwiki standard should we apply to this sort of situation? --magda 12:14, 6 Apr 2005 (EDT)
- What I've been doing has been to list the commemoration on every date included, but where there is disparity to put the specific tradition in parentheses next to it, e.g., "(Greek commemoration)" or "(OCA commemoration)." My approach has been to represent a sort of "combined menaion." --Rdr. Andrew 19:50, 6 Apr 2005 (EDT)
Calendar / Music
Gosh, if it would be possible to have the dynamically created/linked calendar pages also include links to PDFs of the music needed for that day, you've got a huge help to choir directors everywhere.
I know I've got quite a list of PDFs out there, and was considering writing a web crawler to find more... this wiki would be a perfect place to put those results. I just have no idea what sort of structure they would need to be put in. All on one page? Each on their own feast's pages? etc...