Difference between revisions of "Olivier Clement"
(→Books in English: add book authored)
|Line 38:||Line 38:|
Revision as of 15:07, July 22, 2009
Olivier Clément was born in 1921 in the south of France. In his youth he was a non-believer. As he grew to maturity, he became influenced by a number of Orthodox theologians in France, notably Vladimir Lossky and Nicholas Berdiaev, eventually receiving baptism at the hands of Fr Evgraph Kovalesvky, later Bishop Jean-Nectaire of Saint-Denis. He became a member of the faculty of St. Sergius Institute in Paris. In addition to an extensive collection of writings, he edited the theological journal ‘’Contacts’‘.
Clément also enjoyed friendship and entered into dialogues on major spiritual themes with a number of imminent personalities including Patriarch Athenagoras, Pope John Paul II, the priest and theologian Dumitru Staniloae, and the brother Roger of Taizé.
Books in English
- The Spirit of Solzhenitsyn (Barnes & Noble Books, 1976) - ISBN 0064912124
- The Roots of Christian Mysticism (New City Press, 1996) - ISBN 1565480295
- Conversations with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I (St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1997) - ISBN 9780881411782
- On Human Being: Spiritual Anthropology (New City Press, 2000) - ISBN 1565481437
- Three Prayers: The Lord's Prayer, O Heavenly King, Prayer of Saint Ephrem (SVS Press, 2000) - ISBN 0881411973
- You are Peter: An Orthodox Reflection on the Exercise of Papal Primacy (New City Press, 2003) - ISBN 1565481895
- "Martyrs and Confessors" The Ecumenical Review 52:3 (July, 2000), pp. 343-350
- "Be careful of Ramadan's model of Islam" Vita e Pensiero, December 2003 (scroll down for article)
- Jesus, the one consecrated by the Holy Spirit (1998) - On the Vatican's official website
Audio and video
- You are Peter - Reviewed by Peter Westmore
- You are Peter - Reviewed by Adam A. J. DeVille First Things 147 (November 2004)
- "The spiritual person is drunk with the wine of love and that wine is the Spirit, the wine of power and life."