Nicephorus I of Constantinople
St. Nicephorus was born about 758 and died in 828. Like his namesake and fellow-historian Gregoras five centuries later, he sacrificed his position in the defense of Orthodox doctrine against heresy and the Orthodox conscience against dictation from the state. His patriarchate (806-815) was marked, and terminated, by the reaction instigated by Leo V against the restoration of veneration of religious images.
- Your inspired confession gained victory for the Church,
- O holy Hierarch Nicephorus.
- You suffered unjust exile through reverence for the icon of God the Word.
- O righteous Father,
- Pray to Christ our God to grant us his great mercy!
Troparion (Tone 4)
- Christ the Truth of All has shown you to your flock as a model of faith,
- An image of meekness and a teacher of abstinence.
- You attained heaven through humility
- And acquire riches through poverty.
- O holy Father Nicephorus,
- Intercede with Christ to save our souls.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- You received from God the victor’s crown;
- Now save those who faithfully honor you
- As a hierarch and teacher of Christ!