The glorious Prophet Moses, God-seer, is the pinnacle of the lovers of wisdom, the supremely wise lawgiver, the most ancient historian of all. His name means one who draws forth, or is drawn from, that is, from the water. His life is narrated in the Bible (Exodus 2 through Deuteronomy 34:12). The Orthodox Church celebrates his feast day on September 4.
The Burning Bush
Pharaoh and the Plagues of Egypt
Passover and the Parting of the Red Sea
Wandering in the Desert
The Ten Commandments and the Ark of the Covenant
Seeing the Promised Land
Moses' role as a prophet is complex and diverse, but one of the predominant themes of relevance to the Early Church is prefigured in Deut 18:15. The Gospel writers make an effort at several points to highlight the role of Jesus as the "new Moses," the fulfillment of the prophecy.
(Consider for starters... http://www.direct.ca/trinity/moses.html )
Troparion (Tone 2)
- The memory of Your prophet Moses,
- We celebrate today, O Lord.
- By his prayers, we beseech You,
- O Christ God, save our souls!
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- The company of the prophets rejoices with Moses and Aaron,
- For their prophecy is fulfilled
- As the Cross by which you have saved us shines forth.
- Save our souls by their prayers, O Christ our God!
Apolytikion (Third Tone)
- As we celebrate the memory of Thy Prophet Moses,
- O Lord, through him we beseech Thee to save our souls.
Kontakion (Fourth Tone)
- With the divine and righteous Moses and Aaron, the Prophets' choir today rejoiceth with gladness,
- seeing their prophecy fulfilled now in our midst;
- for Thy Cross, O Christ our God, whereby Thou hast redeemed us,
- shineth in the sight of all as the end and fulfilment of that which they foretold in ancient times.
- By their entreaties, have mercy upon us all.
External Links and Sources
- Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses from the Orthodox Church in America website
- Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses: Troparion and Kontakion from the Orthodox Church in America website
- Moses the Prophet and Godseer from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America website
- Moses from the website of the Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Church in Washington, DC
- Icon of Prophet Moses
- Icon of Prophet Moses and the Burning Bush
- Icon of the Passing Through the Red Sea