Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

Monastery of St. John the Theologian (Patmos, Greece)

586 bytes added, 02:21, December 17, 2012
m
link
The '''Holy Monastery of St. John the Theologian''' (Local Name: Áyios Ioánnis Theológos - the ''Monastery of St. John the Divine''), is a fortress style monastery with a [[monasticism|monastic ]] community for [[monk|men]] on [[Patmos]], founded in 1088 AD by St. [[Christodoulos Latrinos of Patmos|Christodoulos the Blessed]](also known as ''the Latrinos''), who had been granted the whole island of Patmos with a golden bull by the Emperor of [[Byzantium ]] Alexis I Komninos. The [[monastery ]] is under the jurisdiction of the [[Church of Constantinople|Ecumenical Patriarchate]]; and is a '''[[Patriarchal Exarchate of Patmos|Patriarchal exarchate''' ]] with a Patriarchal exarch (iei. e., its [[abbot ]] has special benefits).
== Monastery Structure ==
The Monastery has ten chapels[[chapel]]s, four of which are located in its main courtyard. In the Katholic Katholicon of the monastery, there is a temple of unique art, created in 1829, by 12 sculptors.<!---===The Chapel of the Holy Apostles===This is a small byzantine chapel that is just outside the main gate of the monastery.
;===The Chapel of the Holy Apostlesmain entrance===This 17th century '''Main entrance''' gateway has slits for pouring oil over [[w:This is a small byzantine chapel that is just outside marauders|marauders]]. It leads into the cobbled main gate of the monasterycourtyard.
;The main entrance:This 17th century '''Main entrance''' gateway has slits for pouring oil over [[w:marauders|marauders]]. It leads into the cobbled main courtyard. ;===The Main courtyard=== ;;Icon of St. John (12th-century) ::This is the most revered [[icon ]] in the monastery and is housed within the katholikon. It has a Bronze frame which represents in the upper part the Holy Trinity holding the Universe and in the Lower part scenes from the Book of Revelation. In the left corner of the icon Christ in His Glory is distinguishable while St. John is shown as collapsed at His feet.
;The Katholikon'''
;The Katholikon'''
;The Chapel of the Panagia
;; The "Hospitality of Abraham" fresco
 
:: This is one of the most important 12th-century frescoes found in this chapel. It has been painted over however it was discovered after an earthquake in 1956.
;The Chapel of Christodoulos
:In this chapel, the sacred [[relics ]] and tomb of the Blessed Christodoulos are kept and there is also a silver reliquary of the Blessed Christodoulos. 
;The Chapel of the Holy Cross
:This is one of the ten chapels built out of necessaty necessity because church law forbids that mass the liturgy be celebrated more than once a day in the same chapel. 
;The monks refrectory
:The refrectory has two marble tables taken from the ''Temple of Artemis'', which originally occupied the site.
 
;The Treasury
:The '''Treasury''' of the monastery houses over 200 icons, 300 pieces of silverware and a dazzling collection of jewels. This impressive array of religious art and treasure mainly consists of icons of the Cretan school. Among the more respected exhibits there is an unusual mosaic icon of St. Nicholas and the Chrysobull.
:The library contains 15,000 books, over 1,000 manuscripts, including fragments of the famous Codex Purpureus. Nearly 1500 years old, the Codex Purpureus is one of the oldest illustrated manuscripts in the world. Its outer appearance exhibits sheer royalty, and the purple colored parchment made the manuscript famous. Only 386 pages out of the original 800, remain. The current version includes a complete Gospel of St. Matthew and a nearly complete Gospel of St. Mark. Of great interest is the portrait of St. Mark.
;;The "Weeping icon of the Holy Mandylion (Napkin)" (face of Christ)
:: This icon of the face of Christ, is from the late 18th-century. A woman from the island was abandoned by her husband leaving her to raise two children alone. She told the children that she needed to sell the icon of the Holy Mandylion in order to buy some food. The children were very fond of the icon and wept deeply and begged her not to sell it. As they were asking there mother to keep the icon, the face of Christ began to weep also. The mother realised the significance of the miracle and took the icon to the [[church]]. Her husband was notified of the miracle returned back to Patmos, repented and took care of the family.
;;Chrysobull
::The icon is now in the Treasury but was originally placed in the "Holy of Holies" for a time.
--->
== Saints and Monastics ==
:The library contains 15,000 books, over 1,000 manuscripts, including fragments of the famous Codex Purpureus. Nearly 1500 years old, the Codex Purpureus is one of the oldest illustrated manuscripts in the world. Its outer appearance exhibits sheer royalty, and the purple colored parchment made the manuscript famous. Only 386 pages out of the original 800, remain. The current version includes a complete Gospel of St. Matthew and a nearly complete Gospel of St. Mark. Of great interest is the portrait of St. Mark.;The kitchen == Image Gallery ==<gallery>Image:PatmosEntIc.JPG|Monastery of St. John the Theologian !- 1738 entrance with icon of St. John the Theologian and St. Chrysostom, founder of the monastery, both holding the monastery in their hands.Image:PatmosPr.JPG|Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Monk praying with prayer ropeImage:PatmosCY.JPG|Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Courtyard outside the Museum and churchImage:PatmosBell.JPG|Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Byzantine Bell at the top of monastery</gallery> == Saints and Monastics ==
:''nb. only those with articles are listed''.
*St. [[John the Theologian]], author of New Testament canons and the [[Book of Revelation]].
*Elder [[Amphilochios (Makris)]] of Patmos.
*Metropolitan [[Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia]]
--->
 
== Image Gallery ==
<gallery>
Image:PatmosEntIc.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - 1738 entrance with icon of St. John the Theologian and St. Chrysostom, founder of the monastery, both holding the monastery in their hands.</small>
Image:PatmosPr.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Monk praying with prayer rope</small>
Image:PatmosCY.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Courtyard outside the Museum and church</small>
Image:PatmosBell.JPG|<small>Monastery of St. John the Theologian - Byzantine Bell at the top of monastery</small>
</gallery>
== World Heritage Classification, UNESCO ==
**1999, [http://whc.unesco.org/p_dynamic/sites/passfile.cfm?filename=942&filetype=pdf&category=nominations/ "Nomination File"] (9.886 MB file)
**1999, [http://whc.unesco.org/archive/repcom99.htm#942/ Decision "Report of the 23rd Session of the Committee"]
 
==External Link==
*[http://www.monipatmou.gr Monastery website (in Greek only)]
== References ==
16,951
edits

Navigation menu