Monastery of Prophet Elias (Monarto, South Australia)
|Holy Monastery of the Prophet Elias|
|Superior||Hieromonk Benjamin (Forbes)|
|Location||Monarto South, South Australia|
|Music used||Russian Chant|
|Feastdays celebrated||20 Jul/2 Aug|
|Official website||Mission Website|
The Monastery of the Prophet Elias is a monastic community for men under the Diocese of Australia and New Zealand, ROCOR. The monastery is located in Monarto South, South Australia, and was established by Hieromonk Benjamin (Forbes), who remains the superior. There are currently about two priestmonks in residence.
Currently, the Monastery also has a leading role in running the Holy Cross Australian Orthodox Mission in Melbourne, each considering the other integral to itself.
- 1995: Monastery founded in ROCOR.
- ~1998-~2003: Was in Antiochian Archdiocese
- ~2004: Returned to ROCOR.
In December 2005, Archbishop Hilarion tonsured a nun, Rassophore Maria, at the Mission.
In May 2006, Fr Benjamin presented at workshop on Icons and Iconography at the Mount Gambier Regional Art Gallery.
Articles about the Mission
- The sweet lilt of English, as reported in The Age.
Articles by the Abbot
- Intercessions and the Liturgy (in Orthodox Contact, September 1998).
- Parish directory of ROCOR Diocese of Australia and New Zealand.
- The Orthodox Monastery in South Australia - This article originally appeared in Orthodox Contact and written by S.A.
- Orthodox Contact of April 2002 mentions Fr Benjamin making a presentation on monasticism.
|Orthodoxy in Australia: Monasteries|
|Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia|
| Male: Pantanassa | St George | St John |
Female: Gorgoepikoos | Holy Cross
|Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia|
| Male: Holy Transfiguration | Archangel Michael |
Proph. Elias | St John the Baptist | Holy Trinity
Female: Our Lady of Kazan | Presentation
| Male: New Kalenic (Serbian) | St Sava (Serbian) |
Female: St Anna (Antiochian) | Nativity Skete (Serbian)