Monastery of Kyzicus Martyrs
|Monastery of the Kyzicus Martyrs|
|Jurisdiction||Diocese of Kazan |
Church of Russia
|Superior||Archimandrite Daniil (Mogutnov)|
|Approx. size||5 monks|
|Music used||Russian Chant|
|Official website|| Diocesan website|
[http://eng.kazan.eparhia.ru/monastyri/kyzicus/ second website
The Monastery of Kyzicus Martyrs, in the Diocese of Kazan, traces its origin to the appearance of the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Smolensk before the city of Kazan that brought relief to the people of Kazan suffering from the plague in the mid seventeenth century. The monastery marks the place where the city population met the procession of the icon from the Seven Lakes Hermitage. The monastery is now located within the city of Kazan.
During the years 1654-1655, the city of Kazan and the surrounding countryside were confronted with an epidemic of the plague that resulted in 41,698 people, according to commemoration lists of the time. The civil authorities and the clergy of the city decided to bring the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Smolensk from the Seven Lakes Monastery to the city. A delegation of clergy and people, led by Metropolitan Kornily of Kazan and Sviyazhsk, met the icon on a hill about two miles (three kilometers) from the city and escorted it to the city. While the icon was in the city the epidemic waned and ceased completely. In remembrance of the power of the icon, a decision was made to bring the icon to the city annually, using the place of the meeting of the icon as a focal point. A cross was raised on the spot of the meeting. This event established the eventual site for the Kyzicus Martyrs monastery.
During the year 1678, Kazan experienced another epidemic, this one called the “trembling illness” by the people. As the suffering from the epidemic continued on for almost a year, Metropolitan Adrian, who would become Patriarch of All Russia, remembered the suffering of the nine martyrs in Kyzicus and believed that abundance of grace from these saints would dispel the sufferings of the people of Kazan from the feverish and trembling illness. He proposed building a church at the meeting place of the miracle-working icon in honor of the Nine Martyrs of Kyzicus. Construction began in 1687 of a wooden church that was completed in June 1688, on the day of the commemoration of the meeting of the icon. Soon after sick people among the population recovered and the epidemic came to an end.
With the end of the sickness, the church on the hill became the object of mass pilgrimages and donations. This enthusiasm was recognized by Metr. Adrian of the Kazan Diocese, who approved establishment of a monastery around the church in 1691. After the election of Metr. Adrian to the see of the Patriarch of Moscow, he continued to support the monastery of the Kyzicus martyrs. In July 1693, he sent to the monastery particles of the relics of the nine martyrs. These relics had been brought as a gift for Tsar Milhail Feodorovich by Metr. Anempodist of Kyzica in 1645. Patr. Adrian also recommended to Metr. Markell of Kazan the joining of the icon of the nine martyrs with the icon of the icon of the Mother of God (of the Seven Lakes) in the annual summer procession. Patr. Adrian also sent to the monastery the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Kyzicus.
With the coming of the Bolshevik government, the monastery was closed in 1918 and the monastic community dispersed. The monastery fell in disrepair and many of the monastery buildings were destroyed. The remainder of the monastery was turned over to the Red Army. These buildings were later used for military administrative uses, including registration and enlistment offices, storehouses, and garages.
The remains of the monastery were returned to the Diocese of Kazan, in 2006. Immediately, reconstruction and restoration work began. Construction began first on the Church of the Nine Martyrs of Kyzicus and residences for the monks, followed by a inn for pilgrims and a chapel in honor of New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia.