Difference between revisions of "Metropolis of Demetrias and Almyros"
(add ruling hierarchs;)
|Line 7:||Line 7:|
==Past ruling Hierarchs==
==Past ruling Hierarchs==
*[[Christodoulos (Paraskevaides) of Athens|Christodoulos (Paraskevaides)]] 1974-1998
* [[Christodoulos (Paraskevaides) of Athens|Christodoulos (Paraskevaides)]] 1974-1998
Latest revision as of 00:03, April 25, 2013
The metropolis is divided into eight prelatic areas. There are 178 priests and 9 deacons in service. Twenty three of the priests are monks and 155 priests are married, 3 deacons are monks and 6 are married. Most of the priests have a degree of Theology or the High Ecclesiastical school, the remaining 29 have completed high school and very few are graduates from primary school alone. There are also 3 preachers who do not serve in a parish and there are 12 priests who are pensioners/retired.
The current metropolitan of the Diocese of Demetrias is His Eminence Ignatios (Georgakopoulos). Since 1988 he has managed the radio-station "Church of Piraeus 91.2 FM" and since 1992 has been hosting the "Arhontariki" for the ET-1 channel every Sunday morning.
Past ruling Hierarchs
- Christodoulos (Paraskevaides) 1974-1998
- Elias (Tsakogiannis) 1968-1974
- Damaskenos (Hatzopoulos) 1957-1968
- Ioakeim (Alexopoulos) 1935-1957
- Germanos (Mavrommatis) 1907-1935 - (in 1935 he joined two other bishops in forming the Old Calendarist movement)
- Gregorios V (Fourtouniadis) 1870-1907 - (nephew of Ecumenical Patriarch Gregory VI (Fourtouniadis) of Constantinople)
- Prelatic Area of Aghia
- Prelatic Area of Aghialos
- Prelatic Area of Almiros
- Prelatic Area of Argalasti
- Prelatic Area of Velestino
- Prelatic Area of Zagora
- Prelatic Area of Kanalia
- Prelatic Area of Kissos
- Prelatic Area of Lafkos
- Prelatic Area of Milies
- Prelatic Area of Sourpi
- Prelatic Area of Pteleos
Near Volos there are four monasteries for women.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Gerasimos at the village of Makrinitsa
- The Holy Monastery of the Archangels at the village of St. George of Nileia - Information and pictures (in Greek)
- The Holy Monastery of Panagia at St. Vlasios
- The Holy Monastery of St. Lawrence at the village of St. Lawrence.
East of Mt Pelion there are two monasteries for women.
- The Holy Monastery of the Precious Forerunner at the village of Syki.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Spyridon at the village of Promyrion.
- Holy Monastery of St. Xenia ('Ανω Ξενιάς) - Information and pictures (in Greek)
- Holy Monastery of the Taxiarches, Pilio
- Official Website (Greek)