Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Met Basilios
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Siluan
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Inc. (MIOCS) was established in 2003, with a view to offering the tertiary teaching of Orthodox theological studies to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox people.
MIOCS is an affiliate body of the University of Melbourne, through its United Faculty of Theology (UFT) at Ormond College in Parkville, Victoria.
Students may study at an undergraduate, postgraduate or informal level.
It was a goal of Metropolitan Archbishop Paul (Saliba) to have locally-based theological education at a tertiary level, for the education of clergy and lay-workers. To that end, he supported the establishment of the Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies.
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand has had a large role in establishing and coordinating MIOCS, particularly through St. Anna's Convent, and does so with the ROCOR Dean of Victoria, Archpriest Michael Protopopov, and the priest of the Moscow Patriarchate parish in Melbourne, Fr Igor Filianovsky.
Established in 2003, the first subjects under the aegis of MIOCS were offered in 2004.
Faculty and Current Lecturers
- Rev. Fr John D'Alton
- President of MIOCS, 2008.
- Archpriest Michael Protopopov
- Dean of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia, ROCOR.
- Deputy President of MIOCS, 2007.
- Lecturer in The Formative Years of the Church in 2008.
- Sister Virginia (Hutchinson)
- Nun of St. Anna's Convent, Preston, Victoria.
- Secretary and Registrar of MIOCS.
- Professor Trevor Batrouney.
- Formerly treasurer of MIOCS, 2004-05, and president of MIOCS, 2005.
- Visiting Lecturer in Immigration and the Orthodox Churches in Australia in 2008.
- Dr Heshmat Keroloss.
- Visiting Lecturer in Introduction to Orthodox Spiritual Life and Orthodox Spiritual Life in 2008.
Presidents of MIOCS
- Dr Christos Galiotis, BTh (SAGOTC), PhD.
- President of MIOCS, 2004-05.
- Professor Trevor Batrouney, BA, BEd, MEd, PhD.
- President of MIOCS, 2005.
- His Eminence Paul (Saliba) of Australia and New Zealand.
- Metropolitan Archbishop of Australia and New Zealand, Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese
- President of MIOCS, Nov 2005 to 2007.
- Rev. Fr John D'Alton.
- President of MIOCS, 2008 to present.
- His Grace Hilarion of Sydney.
- Archbishop of Australia and New Zealand, ROCOR Diocese of Australia and New Zealand
- Visiting Lecturer in Church Slavonic in 2006.
- Archimandrite Themistocles (Adamopoulo), PhD.
- Former Lecturer.
- Rev. Fr Igor Filianovsky
- Priest of the Holy Trinity Church, (Moscow Patriarchate), Melbourne.
- Former Lecturer.
- Rev. Fr Jovan Takovski.
- Visiting Lecturer in The Biblical Roots of the Doctrine of Theosis in 2006.
- Official Home Page.
- MIOCS Commencement Service for 2006.
- Photo Gallery of the 2006 Commencement Service.
- Biography of Archpriest Michael Protopopov.
|Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines|
|Deanery of New Zealand|
| Melbourne Institute of Orthodox Christian Studies |
St. Paul's Theological Course of Studies