Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Archim. Basil (Patr. Vicar)
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Amphilochios
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Inc. (MIOCS) was established in 2003, with a view to offering the tertiary teaching of Orthodox theological studies to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox people. The first subjects were offered in 2004.
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand has had a large role in establishing and coordinating MIOCS, particularly through St. Anna's Convent, and does so with the ROCOR Dean of Victoria, Archpriest Michael Protopopov, and the priest of the Moscow Patriarchate parish in Melbourne, Fr Igor Filianovsky.
MIOCS is an affiliate body of the University of Melbourne, through its United Faculty of Theology (UFT) at Ormond College in Parkville, Victoria.
Students may study at an undergraduate, postgraduate or informal level.
Faculty and Current Lecturers
- Metropolitan Archbishop Paul (Saliba) of Australia and New Zealand. President of MIOCS, Nov 2005 to present.
- Archpriest Michael Protopopov, ROCOR Dean of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. Deputy President of MIOCS, Lecturer in Introduction to Orthodox Christianity and Early Church History in 2006.
- Sister Virginia (Hutchinson), of St. Anna's Convent. Secretary of MIOCS. Convenor of Orthodox Spiritual Life and The Biblical Roots of the Doctrine of Theosis in 2006.
- Dr Heshmat Keroloss. Visiting Lecturer in Orthodox Spiritual Life in 2006.
- Fr Jovan Takovski. Visiting Lecturer in The Biblical Roots of the Doctrine of Theosis in 2006.
Past Faculty and Lecturers
- Archbishop Hilarion of Sydney. Visiting Lecturer in Church Slavonic in 2006.
- Dr Christos Galiotis, BTh (SAGOTC), PhD. Former president of MIOCS, 2004-05.
- Professor Trevor Batrouney. Former treasurer of MIOCS, 2004-05; president of MIOCS, 2005.
- Archimandrite Themistocles (Adamopoulo), PhD. Former Lecturer.
- Fr Igor Filianovsky, Priest of the Holy Trinity Church (Moscow Patriarchate), Melbourne. Former Lecturer.
- Official Home Page.
- MIOCS Commencement Service for 2006.
- Photo Gallery of the 2006 Commencement Service.
- Biography of Archpriest Michael Protopopov.
|Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines|
|Deanery of New Zealand|
| Melbourne Institute of Orthodox Christian Studies |
St. Paul's Theological Course of Studies