Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Makarios|
Antiochian - Metr. Basil
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Myron
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
The Melbourne Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Inc. (MIOCS) was established in 2003, with a view to offering the tertiary teaching of Orthodox theological studies to both Orthodox and non-Orthodox people. The first subjects were offered in 2004.
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand has had a large role in establishing and coordinating MIOCS, particularly through St. Anna's Convent, and does so with the ROCOR Dean of Victoria, Archpriest Michael Protopopov, and the priest of the Moscow Patriarchate parish in Melbourne, Fr Igor Filianovsky.
MIOCS is an affiliate body of the University of Melbourne, through its United Faculty of Theology (UFT) at Ormond College in Parkville, Victoria.
Students may study at an undergraduate, postgraduate or informal level.
Faculty and Current Lecturers
- Metropolitan Archbishop Paul (Saliba) of Australia and New Zealand. President of MIOCS. Elected for a two year term in November 2005, taking over from Professor Trevor Batrouney.
- Sister Virginia (Hutchinson), of St. Anna's Convent. Secretary of MIOCS. Convenor of Orthodox Spiritual Life and The Biblical Roots of the Doctrine of Theosis in 2006.
- Archpriest Michael Protopopov, ROCOR Dean of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. Lecturer in Introduction to Orthodox Christianity and Early Church History in 2006.
- Archbishop Hilarion of Sydney. Visiting Lecturer in Church Slavonic in 2006.
- Dr Heshmat Keroloss. Visiting Lecturer in Orthodox Spiritual Life in 2006.
- Fr Jovan Takovski. Visiting Lecturer in The Biblical Roots of the Doctrine of Theosis in 2006.
Past Faculty and Lecturers
- Dr Christos Galiotis, BTh (SAGOTC), PhD. Former president of MIOCS, 2004-05.
- Professor Trevor Batrouney. Former treasurer of MIOCS, 2004-05; president of MIOCS, 2005.
- Archimandrite Themistocles (Adamopoulo), PhD. Former Lecturer.
- Fr Igor Filianovsky, Priest of the Holy Trinity Church (Moscow Patriarchate), Melbourne. Former Lecturer.
- Official Home Page.
- MIOCS Commencement Service for 2006.
- Photo Gallery of the 2006 Commencement Service.