Difference between revisions of "John X (Yazigi) of Antioch"
Revision as of 12:27, December 17, 2012
His Eminence Metropolitan John (Yazigi) heads the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Western and Central Europe headquartered in Paris, France. Before his election and enthronement as Metropolitan, he had been titular bishop of Pyrgou (al-Hosn), Syria. He was also formerly the dean of the St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology (Tripoli, Lebanon), the patriarchal seminary attached to the University of Balamand.
His Eminence has a Degree in Theology from the Balamand seminary (1978), a Diploma in Byzantine Music from the Byzantine Music Conservatory in Thessalonica (1981), and a PhD. in Theology with a specialization in Liturgics from the University of Thessalonica (1983). While at the Balamand, he served as Professor of Liturgics (1981-2008), as well as in the abbacy of St. George Al-Humayrah Patriarchal Monastery (1993-2005) and the Monastery of Our Lady of Balamand (2001-2005).
His Eminence is also the author of numerous books and articles on Orthodox theology and liturgics.
John X (Yazigi) of Antioch
|Dean of Balamand Seminary
|Titular Bishop of al-Hosn
|Metropolitan of Western and Central Europe
- 1955 Born Lattakia, Syria.
- 1978 Graduated from University of Balamand, Lebanon, with Bachelor of Theology degree.
- 1979 Ordained deacon by Metropolitan John (Mansour) of Lattakia.
- 1981-2008 Professor of Liturgics, Institute of Theology, Balamand.
- 1981 Diploma in Byzantine Music from the Conservatory of Byzantine Music, Thessalonica, Greece.
- 1983 Ordained priest by Met John of Lattakia.
- 1983 Doctoral Degree in Liturgics from University of Thessalonica, Greece. Thesis: "Service of Holy Baptism: An Historical, Theological, and Liturgical Study" (in Greek).
- 1988-1991 Dean, Institute of Theology, Balamand.
- 1993-2005 Abbot of St. George Al Humayrah Patriarchal Monastery, Syria.
- 1995 Consecrated Bishop.
- 1995-2008 Bishop of Pyrgou (Al-Hosn), Syria.
- 2001-2005 Dean, Institute of Theology, Balamand.
- 2001-2005 Abbot of the Our Lady of Balamand Patriarchal Monastery, Lebanon.
- 2008-present Metropolitan of Western and Central Europe (Antiochian) and member of the Holy Synod of Antioch.
- Brief Biography from Archdiocese website
- Balamand seminary biography
- Listing at the Orthodox Research Institute