Joachim and Anna
St. Joachim was of the tribe of Judah, and a descendant of King David. Anna was the daughter of Matthan the priest, of the tribe of Levi as was Aaron the High Priest. Matthan had three daughters: Mary, Zoia, and Anna. Mary was married in Bethlehem and bore Salome; Zoia was also married in Bethlehem and bore Elizabeth, the mother of St. John the Forerunner; and Anna was married in Nazareth to Joachim, and in old age gave birth to the Theotokos. Joachim and Anna had been married for fifty years, and were barren. They lived devoutly and quietly, using only a third of their income for themselves and giving a third to the poor and a third to the Temple, and they were well provided for. Once, when they were already old and were in Jerusalem to offer sacrifice to God, the High Priest, Issachar, upbraided Joachim, "You are not worthy to offer sacrifice with those childless hands." Others who had children jostled Joachim, thrusting him back as unworthy. This caused great grief to the two aged souls, and they went home with very heavy hearts. Then the two of them gave themselves to prayer to God that He would work in them the wonder that He had worked in Abraham and Sarah, and give them a child to comfort their old age. God sent them His angel, who gave them tidings of the birth of "a daughter most blessed, by whom all the nations of the earth will be blessed, and through whom will come the salvation of the world." Anna conceived at once, and in the ninth month gave birth to the holy Virgin Mary. St. Joachim lived for 80 years and Anna for 79, and they both entered into the kingdom of God.
- Let us sing praises to Joachim and Anna,
- the couple honored by God
- (and they are His kinsmen).
- They have borne for us the Maiden
- who in a manner beyond understanding
- gave birth to Him Who though fleshless,
- became the incarnate to save the world.
- With her they intercede for our souls.
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- Anna rejoices, released from her barrenness,
- and nurses her most pure child.
- She calls all people to glorify Him
- Who gave the Virgin Mother to mankind from her womb.
- The Holy & Righteous Ancestors of God, Joachim and Anna (GOARCH)
- Holy and Righteous Ancestor of God, Joachim, Holy and Righteous Ancestor of God, Anna (OCA)
- Dormition of the Righteous Anna, the Mother of the Most Holy Theotokos (OCA)
- Dormition of St. Anna, mother of the Theotokos (GOARCH)
- Icon of Ss. Joachim and Anna with the Theotokos