Difference between revisions of "Jean-Nectaire (Kovalevsky) of Saint-Denis"
Revision as of 16:50, July 10, 2005
Evgraph Kovalevsky was born in St Petersburg on 8 April 1905 of a prominent Ukrainian family, and brother to Maxime and Pierre Kovalevsky. He taught at the Saint-Serge Institute in Paris until, with the assistance of Vladimir Lossky, he opened the Saint-Denys Institute on 15 November 1944. Kovalevsky and Lossky had founded the Brotherhood of St Photius in 1925. He was ordained a priest of the Moscow Patriarchate in 1937, and his first liturgy was the funeral for Archimandrite Louis-Charles Winnaert, whom he had worked with to bring Winnaert’s followers into the Orthodox Church. Metropolitan Sergius, the patriarchal locum tenens for Moscow, had issued ukaze No. 1249 on 16 June 1936 establishing Winnaert’s group as “The Western Orthodox Church