Holy Order of MANS
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in America
|American Orthodox Timeline |
American Orthodox Bibliography
Byzantines on OCA autocephaly
ROCOR and OCA
|Saints - Bishops - Writers|
|Antiochian - Bulgarian |
OCA - Romanian - Moscow
ROCOR - Serbian
|Christ the Saviour
|St. Tikhon's |
AOI - EOCS - IOCC - OCEC
OCF - OCL - OCMC - OCPM - OCLife
OISM - OTSA - SCOBA - SOCHA
|Amer. Orthodox Catholic Church |
Brotherhood of St. Moses the Black
Evangelical Orthodox Church
Holy Order of MANS/CSB
Society of Clerks Secular of St. Basil
|Edit this box|
The Holy Order of MANS (or HOOM) was a religious cult founded by ex-engineer Earl Blighton that started in the 1960s. It was based on another religious idea of Blighton and others called the Science of Man. MANS is an acronym for the greek words:
In 1988, after denouncing the heresy involved with the religious movement, many of its members and hierarchy joined a non-canonical group of the Orthodox Church under the name Christ the Saviour Brotherhood (or CSB). In 2000, members of CSB joined canonical jurisdictions of the Orthodox Church.
Raphael House, a property previously belonging to HOOM was originally an integrated charitable activity of CSB, but was incorporated as its own California nonprofit organization in 1991. It is under the OCA jurisdiction.
A thorough Orthodox explanation of the journey of the Holy Order of MANS and Christ the Saviour Brotherhood can be read in Again, Vol. 23, No. 1, January-March 2001, pp. 23-26
Some of the existing congregations that include former members/clergy of HOOM/CSB include:
- St. Herman of Alaska Orthodox Church (ROCOR) in Grand Rapids, MI. CSB.
- St. John (Maximovitch) the Wonderworker Orthodox Church (OCA) in Atlanta, GA
- 1968 - Earl Blighton (aka Father Paul) founds the Holy Order of MANS. He takes the title of Director General.
- 1974 - Earl Blighton dies.
- 1978 - Andrew and Isjesian Rossi become co-directors general of HOOM.
- 1983 - Fr. Herman (Gleb) Podmoshensky and Andrew Rossi of HOOM meet
- 1984-1988 - Rossi introduces some Orthodox liturgical and spiritual practices to members of HOOM.
- 1987 - Rossi attends meetings of the Evangelical Orthodox bishops with Metropolitan Philip of the Antiochian Archdiocese
- 1988 - HOOM members, under the leadership of Andrew Rossi and Fr. Herman, joined a non-canonical jurisdiction of the Orthodox Church under Metropolitan Pangratios (Vrionis) of the Archdiocese of Vasiloupolis (Queens, NY). The name of the group was then changed to Christ the Saviour Brotherhood.
- 2000 - Members of Christ the Saviour Brotherhood join three different jurisdictions in America. The men's and women's monasteries that came out of the St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood and some parishes and missions were received by Bishop Jovan of the Diocese of Western America, and Bishop Longin of the New Gracanica Diocese, both of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Many parishes and missions have gone into the Orthodox Church in America under Archbishop Dimitri of Dallas, Bishop Job of Chicago, and Bishop Tikhon of San Francisco. Several other parishes and missions were received by Metropolitan Joseph of the Bulgarian Patriarchate [source: Again article].
These links can be used to expand this article or for sources of information.
Holy Order or MANS
- Uniting All Faiths: A text of the HOOM.
- Holy Order of MANS from the Religious Movements Homepage
- Behind the Doors of Repentance: The Untold Details of the Journey of the Holy Order of MANS/Christ the Saviour Brotherhood and the St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood into the Canonical Orthodox Church by Melanie Jula Sakoda, JD
- HOOM Summary by Melanie Jula Sakoda, JD
- HOOM - Controversial Groups: a link repository for articles about the Order.
- Holy Order of MANS by Metareligion
- I ask for your prayers. A post made on the orthodoxchristianity.net forums about life in a CSB parish.
- Road to Emmaus: A Journal of Orthodox Faith and Culture. A journal sponsored by Christ the Saviour Brotherhood
- Holy Order of MANS. Information provided by the Rick A. Ross Institute
- Holy Order of MANS in Google Directory.
- St. John Maximovitch Serbian Orthodox Church in Eugene Oregon